Anyone start out on Super 8?

Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for ages now and I've learned so much, so thanks right off!!

I work in tv, so i've been using various forms of DV. I've always loved the look of film and I've started now with super8.

Have any of you guys made the same start?

Currently I'm finding it a nightmare to light stuff!

Encouragement please!!

Have any of you guys made the same start?

Currently I'm finding it a nightmare to light stuff!

Encouragement please!!

I actually started with the old regular (double 8mm).If you could be more specific on your lighting problems,maybe we could help you.

Marty

well i'm in the middle of making a short - no funding. There's a scene on a bridge at night. The walkway is about 100ft long and is well lit by yellow, sodium street lights.

I have to film two figures mostly in close up but some long shots. They walk from opposite sides of the bridge and pass each other in the middle. That's it.

It's in the middle of a busy city centre, and I have zero budget!

My camera is a canon 814 AZ.

Luckily for you Vision 2 500T (18) is coming out in S8! Might give you a chance.....

I also hear 500T is coming out soon as well in s-8.Without knowing what a meter would read on this particular setup,it's difficult to say.Possibly 7240 would do.You may be able to cheat somewhat in your close ups and add some fill light.

Marty

Light metres in S8 get really tricky, it's not like 16 thats for sure. I shot a film once with a Cannon 1014 XL on 320 Pro8 and I think the cart was notched but I guess the lattitude would have saved us anyway, turned out perfect. I recall the Cannon's default setting to be 400ASA but could not be sure? It may have been 160 come to think of it. Guess on neg stock you could get away with an external metre even though it may be a little out of whack with the funky S8....

• Premium Member

Hi,

This super-8 camera I have here has its internal meter which seems to work OK now I've got some fresh batteries for it (!) but I'm slightly confused by the speed ratings it's capable of working with. As far as I know, the notch system on s8 carts only goes up to 160, and I have examples of 160-notched carts here with the Vision 200, but inside the cart bay there's a legend talking about speeds up to 640.

I presume if I were to shoot anything faster than 200, I'd pretty much be forced to put the camera into manual mode and use an external meter.

Phil

There's 800T film for Super8 from pro8mm.com as well.

I'm shooting my current project with a combination of Super8 and 16mm. Began with 8mm video, went to Super8, and now do a lot of stuff on 16mm. (not that I do much stuff yet, I still run a dayjob as a computer technician)

For lighting, I'd opt for 500T or 800T for the long-shot, and use 200T and supply your own lighting for the close-ups. (clip a brighter light right under the streetlights, use a pocket still camera to get the lights lined up before you shoot with the film camera, and they won't be able to tell the difference unless they look very very carefully)

watch out, 800 will be very very grainy! it's almost too much on 16, I'd definately go for the finer grained V2 stocks now they are out..... Phil what camera do you have? I'm not that up on S8 but I think the later models (80's) tend to work at the higher ASA's. You could download a manual for the exact ASA default. You could also use an external metre for neg (reversal requires very accurate metering best handled by the internal metre) and fine tune it in a transfer, it's pretty amazing how much you can get away with!

watch out, 800 will be very very grainy! it's almost too much on 16, I'd definately go for the finer grained V2 stocks now they are out..... Phil what camera do you have? I'm not that up on S8 but I think the later models (80's) tend to work at the higher ASA's. You could download a manual for the exact ASA default. You could also use an external metre for neg (reversal requires very accurate metering best handled by the internal metre) and fine tune it in a transfer, it's pretty amazing how much you can get away with!