Shooting Vertical with Aaton XTR - How to?

Lee Robinson

Hey everyone,

I have a project i want to shoot on 16mm and im exploring the idea of shooting vertically as they are moving portraits.

The camera i can get access to is an Aaton XTR. I cant find any information online about anyone else having shot vertically with this camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be securely rigged? Is it possible? And are there any other implications that i havent thought of, mechanically or other, of why this wouldn't work?

Thanks and sorry if im missing something really obvious!

Lee

I guess im wondering if there is a way that the camera could be rigged on its side on the tripod - so the subject would be able to stand/sit as normal.

He understood what you meant. The question is, how will you show the finished product to the world? Like a vertical iPhone video?

Yes you can rig the camera sideways. That's one way of doing it. Or you shoot it normally then you can crop it in post to the aspect ratio of an iPhone video.

I would scan/digitize the negative and it would be playing on a vertical screen..

It seems a waste to crop it in post.. it would be a lower resolution?

What parts would i need to rig the camera sideways so that the weight would be balanced safely?

Thanks so much for the help,

• Premium Member

L bracket from home depot and the proper threaded wing nuts and screws, should work fine. Then you just use the normal tripod head with a sliding baseplate, to adjust the "offset" so the camera is centered in the right place.

The camera will work fine sideways.

• Premium Member

The only caveat I would add is that I have come across an XTR that was damaged due to being held vertically by the 3/8" thread in the base, which deformed the housing at the bottom and damaged the electronic boards inside. I don't know what loads were put on the camera, or if it was jolted by a car rig or something, but it's something to be aware of. Probably fine with small primes and a stable tripod.