Bray E-Series Manual

Hey,

I recently got hold of a Bray E-Series in working order. What a great little machine!

I haven't fired it up yet, but it was in use until recently and is in really good shape, including spare parts. The only thing missing is the manual.

Does anybody here have the manual and could scan it for me?

I got the Manual of a Bray Magitrak, but it's not the same. I also contacted Bray Plastics in the UK (which is their name now), they claim to have no records, plans, schematics or anything about the E-Series anymore.

Would appreciate any help!

F

Hi Friedemann,

Which process is your machine configured for ?

I use an older Bray processor ( the daddy of the E series ) which isn't too different.

I don't have any paperwork, but happy to advise you.

Geoffrey Bray ( ex Bray Processors ) doesn't seem to want to help with their old processing machines now as he's now into plastics manufacturing ( ....he's also very difficult to get hold of ).

Cheers,

John S :rolleyes:

Hey John,

I am not sure about the config, the previous owner die C-41, E6 and bw-neg with it. He also offered me with help and answered my initial bunch of questions :)

One Q: Is there any way to do the re-exposure for bw-reversal inside the Bray, not chemically but with light? My Bray has a kind of "gate" after the third tank, that suggests to allow a lightsource behind it, but I would not know where and how.

I had been in contact with a Ruth Marsden at Bray Plastics, and just got a "I have asked the question and we have no manuals or paperwork in relation to the E-Series processors, we discontinued production approximately 10-14years ago and all relevant paperwork manuals etc. sorry we could not be of help."

Weird.

I still need to get tempered supply water and a drainer box installed at the place where I want the Bray to operate, so haven't even turned it on yet.

Oh, one more Q: The previous owner used the 70mm leader and pulled up to four S8 films through it in parallel. Have you tried this too? Or even more films?

Edited by Friedemann Wachsmuth

Hey John,

I am not sure about the config, the previous owner die C-41, E6 and bw-neg with it. He also offered me with help and answered my initial bunch of questions :)

One Q: Is there any way to do the re-exposure for bw-reversal inside the Bray, not chemically but with light? My Bray has a kind of "gate" after the third tank, that suggests to allow a lightsource behind it, but I would not know where and how.

I had been in contact with a Ruth Marsden at Bray Plastics, and just got a "I have asked the question and we have no manuals or paperwork in relation to the E-Series processors, we discontinued production approximately 10-14years ago and all relevant paperwork manuals etc. sorry we could not be of help."

Weird.

I still need to get tempered supply water and a drainer box installed at the place where I want the Bray to operate, so haven't even turned it on yet.

Oh, one more Q: The previous owner used the 70mm leader and pulled up to four S8 films through it in parallel. Have you tried this too? Or even more films?

Friedemann, can you post a picture clearly showing all of the top of the tanks ?

Continuous machines like this will only be configured to one process really, but sometime can be adapted ( a bit wasteful or not very good for quality ).

And I doubt you can install a re-exposure lamp anywhere on the processor !

Running multiple strands can be done as long as the rollers are flat and use rubber spacers on all rollers. Even then I wouldn't trust it as the tension would be different on all strands - and take up could be a problem.

Most of these machine types use convex rubber coated rollers ensuring the film runs down the middle of the rollers / tanks.

For tempered water, you can adapt a small, cheap shower heater with a power 'dimmer' (... and fit a thermometer in-line to monitor the temperature ).

John S :unsure: