best place to study cinematography in europe?

Hi ya all!

i am currently working as a tv-photographer in finland, but would like to get into cinematography.

i would like to do a m.a. course in cinematography or something else of that length (2 yrs max).

any suggestions, which shcool(s) should i look into (other than nfts)?

(i have nothing against nfts, it's just that having lived in london for quite a few yrs, i'm not too keen on moving back there in the nearerst future).

thanks a lot in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hi,

I'd try for one of the big American schools. As I saw recently at a showing at the DGA in LA, their standard is vastly higher than anything LFS will ever dream of dreaming of. It must also be nice to be taught by people who are actually involved in mainstream filmmaking, as opposed to a few crusty old ex-BBC codgers.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

For who might be interested to tchat with my students in Cannes, i've just created a quote in their site's forum.

They have informations on Louis Lumière and Femis schools as well

Please, be welcome :

www.citizen-cannes.net

english speaking topic :

http://www.citizen-cannes.net/forum/index.php?showforum=5

...and VGIK the Russian Film Institute of Cinematography and also the FAMU in Czech Republic . All these schools were based on the old communist model where if you were good enough to get in as they were highly competetive, the state tried to form you as a complete artist and competent technician. Probably because they wanted to create highly skilled propagandists...though I have to say contrary to what westerners might assume (because of our own propaganda) apparently the standard of education in many of the universities in these countries was of a very, very high standard especially in the arts and literature.

I have a British friend who went to Russia for 5 years to study cinematography (...the cinematography course is 4 years! and it takes about 1 year to learn the language). He firmly believes it was one of the best cinematography courses in the world. He says that they are most interested in forming you as an artist. Also what was good was that it was really really cheap at the time so you could take the time out. They teach the cinematographers film theory and technique as well as art history and appreciation, painting...they actually had to take oil painting classes!, philosophy, religion, literature, acting, chemistry, physics and other things. Though all these schools now teach on video because it is cheaper, a few years back everything they shot was on 35mm. If you've got 5 years to spare, check it out. I think it all pays off in the long run I'm sure.

Yeah, it's a very good course; a 2 year M.A. where they teach Digibeta, 16mm, 35mm and HD. Quite tough to get into - every year they take only 6 cinematographers, usually about a 100 people apply - I barely missed getting in last year and got put on the short list. When you join as a cinematographer you do documentary, animation and drama. All the teachers are working professionals including the head of the cinematography department Brian Tufano BSC who shot 'Trainspotting' and 'Billy Elliot' and Paul Wheeler BSC who wrote 'Practical Cinematography' and 'Digital Cinematography' as well as a book on HD. Check it out it's the best film school in Britain.

http://www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk/Teaching%20De...CineCourse.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi everyone ,

I wish to find a better place to study cinematography aswell , But am far away from europe , I reside in west Africa and i wish to study either of cinematograhy or firm/vidoe editing ,I have the passion of becoming firm maker or music vidoe maker since i was a little boy till now , have been watching diffrent vidoe shoot in my country and it's sucks, so i want to go out there and lean and come back to my country and put my effect/stunt to make them a real vidio instead of bullshit vidoe they call firm . Anyway can anyone tell me a good school like my friend here is looking for , meanwhile i dont know anything about the firm shoot but i can design very well on corel draw and make some effect with cool 3D software . I need HELP PLS .

Hi everyone ,

I wish to find a better place to study cinematography aswell , But am far away from europe , I reside in west Africa and i wish to study either of cinematograhy or firm/vidoe editing ,I have the passion of becoming firm maker or music vidoe maker since i was a little boy till now , have been watching diffrent vidoe shoot in my country and it's sucks, so i want to go out there and lean and come back to my country and put my effect/stunt to make them a real vidio instead of bullshit vidoe they call firm . Anyway can anyone tell me a good school like my friend here is looking for , meanwhile i dont know anything about the firm shoot but i can design very well on corel draw and make some effect with cool 3D software . I need HELP PLS .

Hi everyone ,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone ,

hi joshua , well Asia also has the best film school why don't you try out for "Whistling Woods International" one of the best and largest school in Asia , here is the link : http://www.whistlingwoods.net/main.asp

this school offers a huge variety of courses with different combination , also you can go for the one year course they are offering ..

• 5 years later...