Movies Ruined By digital

fatih yıkar

I don't want to open this topic because of so many film vs digital discussions but i don't want to ruin other topics with my screenshots. Occasionally i will share some screenshots from movies under this topic.

I love these Roger Ebert words

Do you remember what a movie should look like? Do you notice when one doesn't look right? Do you feel the vague sense that something is missing? I do. I know in my bones how a movie should look

He said these things for digital projectors but every time when i watch a new movie, these words comes to my mind.

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-dying-of-the-light

İ watched the trainspotting 2, aka T2, i think movie is good (directing,script,acting etc.) except for one thing movie's look. I'm not going to write a lot of stuff that i wrote before about color,texture,depness. I'm just sharing screenshots from previous movie and new one.

post-69480-0-40516800-1511885064_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Again, these screen shots have very different lighting and grading that are totally independent of it being film or digital. The difference in look is intentional, its an artistic choice. You are comparing apples to oranges again.

Edited by David Hessel
  • Upvote 2

Here is the thing: Digital and film can look pretty much identical. A lot of these issues above are more about grading choices than they are film vs digital. The shots on the right are very color saturated, almost to the point of absurdity. Those 'right' shots also make horrible use of highlights and look as if some kind of really bad post sharping was done to them. It was very much a stylistic choice on these, not a film vs digital issue.

Edited by Landon D. Parks
  • Upvote 2

Again, these screen shots have very different lighting and grading that are totally independent of it being film or digital. The difference in look is intentional, its an artistic choice not the result of one bing film and another being digital. You are comparing apples to oranges again.

If they intentionally doing this they must be blind, this is what i'm try to tell, ıt's like we're living in the era of stupidity..

They use some scenes from previous movie for flashback scene and they change the color ıt's look terrible for me and btw compression adds grain in high resolution new movie look more digital.

post-69480-0-92784200-1511887475_thumb.jpg

Here is the thing: Digital and film can look pretty much identical. A lot of these issues above are more about grading choices than they are film vs digital. The shots on the right are very color saturated, almost to the point of absurdity. Those 'right' shots also make horrible use of highlights and look as if some kind of really bad post sharping was done to them. It was very much a stylistic choice on these, not a film vs digital issue.

Colors looks different but problem is not just the color issue there are more things than that.....

And i can't accept this answer all time the written '' stylistic choice''....

If everything is stylistic choice how the people make decisions about this movie look good,cinematography is amazing, lighting so perfect

I mean if say something or criticize a movie, everybody can say this '' this is a stylistic choice'' ''that's why my movie look so digital, that's why color looks dissatisfied, that's why movie is too grainy because this is my ''stylistic choice''...

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

If they intentionally doing this they must be blind, this is what i'm try to tell, ıt's like we're living in the era of stupidity..

yes we are living in the era of stupidity, I'm glad you noticed it :lol:

if needing more you can just check YouTube or some lifestyle sites :) or the average newspaper website, any of them ;)

anyway, that neon-green instagram filter is quite annoying indeed. haven't seen the new movies so don't know if their grading choices worked or not but in still frames it looks horrible most of the time :ph34r:

Your screenshots seem to come from a camcorder pointed at the screen.

Here's the trailer in HD:

Not as bad as the screenshots, but definitely a very different look from the classic original.

Agreed the trailer looks much better than the shots posted here, I was a bit taken back with how bad the digital ones looked. I never even considered these could be from a cam bootleg but it does look like that is possible.

@Fatih Yikar what was the source for the ditigal screenshots? They look nothing like the trailer and if these are from a bootleg shot with a camcorder you have taken the ridiculousness of this topic to a whole other level.

• Upvote 1

OP, FYI, here are your so-called "ruined" frame enlargements colour-corrected very quickly in Lightroom. No doubt I could get them closer.
There's no point comparing screenshots from radically different sources.
post-9972-0-18844300-1511895103_thumb.jpg
post-9972-0-60907800-1511895109_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Dunn

Not as bad as the screenshots, but definitely a very different look from the classic original.

My screenshots looks bad because of high compression, rules of 300 kb picture only be added. I think trailer looks more different, has different colors.

And also everybody can look the movie from http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/T2-Trainspotting-Blu-ray/176402/#Screenshots here

post-69480-0-51875600-1511895762_thumb.jpg

post-69480-0-34917000-1511895774_thumb.jpg

I'm not changing the color but programme i use for maybe has a little different settings...

Edited by fatih yıkar

Well ıt's look like they change the color for blu-ray, trailer looks different i don't watch the movie from theater so which one is the real color of movie trailer or blu-ray? anyway new movie not even close the first movie cinematography

trailer -blu-ray

post-69480-0-49584000-1511896489_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Well ıt's look like they change the color for blu-ray, trailer looks different i don't watch the movie from theater so which one is the real color of movie trailer or blu-ray?

movie trailers are generally sent through completely different editing/post/grade pipeline than the final movie if you are comparing the early trailers.

at that stage the movie has not finished editing stage and therefore online most likely not made even partially, so the trailer is done from early edited select scenes and fully onlined and graded separately from the raw material.

so the early trailer grade may not have anything to do with the final movie look: it usually has different trailer editor but also may have different post facility, different colorist, different programs used, vfx scrapped together from non-finished fx previews, etc etc. They may for example have a grade very close to the dailies look (aka add LUT and render out -style) or only slightly tweaked... and the grade made noticeably different on web and cinema and tv versions.

the later trailers may use final graded movie material depending on the post workflow but it kinda depends.

One can, for example, cut the final trailer from a clean tv master on some films, or online the trailer based on the finished movie edit so that it is easy to copy the grades from the full movie's grading project and then slightly tweak them for internet use etc.

but as said the trailer look does not necessarily have anything to do with the final movie's grade, depending on for example in which stage of the actual movie's post work the particular trailer needs to be edited and published.

one Finnish film for example had a very warm retro tone lower contrast trailer (kinda warm tones + warmish greys+neutral shadows) BUT a much higher contrast cold look with very cold blueish shadows in the final movie, graded by different colorist with different style.

Not the mention difference in style between Brian Tufano and Anthony Dod Mantle thats probably a bigger factor then the choice between Digital and Film.

Tufano's work with Boyle was very special - nothing to do with shooting format, just two talented people working well together. If they'd shot on VHS it would have been worth watching. Shame "The Beach" brought an end to the collaboration. I like Anthony Dod Mantles work as well - but there was something Iconic about the original Trainspotting

• Premium Member

Fascinating, I rented it on iTunes and got the horrible green/crunchy mess that Fatih has encountered. The trailer looks infinitely better. Much more inline with the original and what you'd expect the film to look like.

I think one of the things that put me off so much about the sequel, was that Edinburgh felt NOTHING like Edinburgh, the grade totally warped the feeling of the place, the whole thing felt fantastical (but not in a good way).

Such a shame.

• Premium Member

Fascinating, I rented it on iTunes and got the horrible green/crunchy mess that Fatih has encountered. The trailer looks infinitely better. Much more inline with the original and what you'd expect the film to look like.

I think one of the things that put me off so much about the sequel, was that Edinburgh felt NOTHING like Edinburgh, the grade totally warped the feeling of the place, the whole thing felt fantastical (but not in a good way).

Such a shame.

maybe they were accidentally delivered the XYZ colour space image and they decided to "just make the VOD version from it without conversion, should be no difference compared to RGB master" B)

maybe they were accidentally delivered the XYZ colour space image and they decided to "just make the VOD version from it without conversion, should be no difference compared to RGB master" B)

The irony is that more often than not films nowadays are released in that awful teal-and-orange palette. So whoever did it though it was OK because he had his Instagoggles on. Yuck.

• Premium Member

The irony is that more often than not films nowadays are released in that awful teal-and-orange palette. So whoever did it though it was OK because he had his Instagoggles on. Yuck.

reminds me of the Matrix trilogy and the moss-green madness back then :blink:

anyway, one can also accidentally make somewhat similar type look from normal looking movie if using the jpeg2000 xyz (DCP source) version as a raw material and just making the rgb exports from it without converting the colour space, or converting the wrong way. that will make somewhat overall green colour shift to the whole image and if slightly adding contrast or boosting saturation it could look exactly like the stills posted here

I remember watching Peter Jackson's The Hobbit movies at the cinema a few years ago. I was bored beyond belief sitting there watching. I detested the very look of what I was sitting through. To me it wasn't cinema it was digitally snazzed-up cartoons. Even the actors and sets looked like CGI. The color grading was awful and fake looking. The whole thing looked cheap and fake to me. The art design as it were of the very look of the cinematography gave me the impression of cheap and tacky plastic and fake chrome. I got the impression of a very poor quality desert one felt compelled to eat because one was with friends yet you were nearly gagging on the cheap, industrial fake-sugar sweetness taste of it. I remember the part with the village being attacked by the flying dragon, and the villagers piling into boats and the shots of their scared faces. I sat there and I couldn't have cared less if the whole lot of them were nuked from orbit. Just absolute care factor zero. These days I watch films like David Lean's 'Ryan's Daughter' on DVD. Now that's a movie. Shot on real film cameras. Oh yes, and man can you tell it's the real thing. Just looks so ..... beautiful!!!! You know why? Because it's real. I've given up on any film shot on digital, unless possibly a Star Wars film but that's it, none else. I didn't bother to see the latest Blade Runner. Just not worth going out for. Too many other things I'd rather do.

• Upvote 1

New big budget films shot on film I think need a limited release as film-projected prints, at a higher ticket price if need be. Then a general digital release for a longer run at the cinema (to get around the problem of the print quickly wearing out). Was talking to this terrific guy in Brisbane a few days ago, literally just up the street, who is a real knows-everyone, get-it-done person. He has worked in just about every industry you can name that needs hands-on, practical people. I suddenly clicked, and said to him, "Hey, I bet you've worked in cinemas." Yep, I was right. He knows all the old Brisbane cinemas. I asked him about all the old projectors. Knew them by brand name. He thinks he knows where there are come 35mm projectors up for grabs. He warned me they are very big. I said I've got a big shed I can store them in. He told me the big problem will be getting hold of prints. He also said he's going to find me a 16mm projector. If I do get hold of some projectors maybe they will just sit and gather dust but I'm not going to let them be thrown into land fill.

• Upvote 1

I remember watching Peter Jackson's The Hobbit movies at the cinema a few years ago. I was bored beyond belief sitting there watching. I detested the very look of what I was sitting through.

Yeah this is another example, when i blame technology so many people here dont't agree with me but if digital technology not shows up hobbit movies would be look like the lord of the rings trilogy, such a good opportunity missed....

New big budget films shot on film I think need a limited release as film-projected prints, at a higher ticket price if need be. Then a general digital release for a longer run at the cinema (to get around the problem of the print quickly wearing out).

I been thinking is movies shot on film could be release on film-projected theaters before dcp release ... like the Tarantino make the roadshow for hateful eight only one day but if the movie only released film print and one or two month later release digitally in theaters, ıt will be prize for the theaters still run film projection...

Also many people here complain about film prints damages,dust,scratches things like that but as i remember i saw many movies from prints when i was teenager and never saw a big problem like that, i asked couple of old projectionist about problems of prints, they told me we know all that risk about prints because of that we are so careful all the time and they said they run some film prints over than 300-500 times and ıt still has no scratches,dust or damages still looks brilliant, so how accurate things are about cons of film prints?

Edited by fatih yıkar
  • Upvote 2