Grading / On set monitor

Jeremie Bouchard

Looking to buy a monitor that could be used both for grading in my editing room and on set as reference monitor.

Is Flanders the best option? 8bit? 10bit? Anyone has experience with Small HD daylight viewable Monitors? Are they accurate enough?

Also what about size? I feel like 24 inch would be nice for grading but might be a little big to bring on set.. maybe 17 is enough?

Thanks!

I was considering buying a Flanders monitor recently as an on set monitor, but eventually decided that it's so rare that I get to look at a monitor under anything approaching ideal conditions, that it wasn't worth spending three or four thousand dollars on. In the end, I bought a lightly used Panasonic 17" monitor, which paid for itself in just two jobs. The Panasonics are primarily field monitors, although I have occasionally seen them in edit suites, but not in dedicated color suites.

I use an old 17" Panasonic on set. I've compared it to a Flanders, and it's very very close for REC709 work. I did adjust the white point to D65 with a probe (it had a green cast from the factory) using the OSD. Black levels are a little bit light, but probably the newer ones are a little better.

I did once grade a project with it, but now I grade with an EIZO, which is good for grading, but not rugged enough to drag around on set and has no SDI connections.

Even for grading though, I don't need to see 10 bit to see color. If there's 8 bit banding, it won't be in the final render. I can see the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit with a greyscale ramp, but I can't see it on normal images.