V-Mount vs. Sony NP-F series?

I currently use Sony NPF series batteries with an Atomos Power Station to power my GH5 and DR60D (and provide backup power for my Atomos), but I'm seriously looking into a V-mount solution in a hopes to eliminate the need for so many batteries.

However, can someone here with knowledge of how batteries work explain something to me?

I'm looking at a 14.8V 160Wh, 10400mAh V-mount battery, which is nearly $200. However, comparing that to the NPF batteries, at least in terms of capacity, I'm having trouble seeing how the V-mount would provide more power storage, given that an NPF-970 runs about $15 and has only slightly less mAh's, at around 9,000. Does the 14.8 vs 7.4v different also play into battery life?

• Premium Member

I currently use Sony NPF series batteries with an Atomos Power Station to power my GH5 and DR60D (and provide backup power for my Atomos), but I'm seriously looking into a V-mount solution in a hopes to eliminate the need for so many batteries.

However, can someone here with knowledge of how batteries work explain something to me?

I'm looking at a 14.8V 160Wh, 10400mAh V-mount battery, which is nearly $200. However, comparing that to the NPF batteries, at least in terms of capacity, I'm having trouble seeing how the V-mount would provide more power storage, given that an NPF-970 runs about $15 and has only slightly less mAh's, at around 9,000. Does the 14.8 vs 7.4v different also play into battery life?

it's the Wh ratings you need to compare, NOT mAh's. the Wh will tell how long the batteries would theoretically last with for example 40W load (Wh divided with load in W = hours) .

14.8v x 10.4 Ah = 153.92 Wh , 7.4V x 9 Ah = 66.6 Wh . More than double the difference in capacity so the voltage matters quite much ;)

• Premium Member

you can also think it this way: if the both batteries would have the same Ah's (10.4 Ah) but one is 14.8v and the other 7.4....

then you would need two of the 7.4v batteries in series to get to the 14.8v (7.4 + 7.4v =14.8v) .

so there is double the amount of li-ion cells in the 14.8v battery compared to the 7.4v battery so the theoretical capacity is thus doubled.

if you would convert the 14.8v 10.4Ah battery to a single 7.4v battery you would have enough cells for two parallel 7.4v battery assemblies so the total Ah rating for the converted system would be 20.8 Ah with 7.4v output.

Kinda similar of having one AA battery for 1.5V or two AA batteries in series for 3V