Fun project with my seniors on 35mm

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

One of my great joys in life is teaching. Not only do I have my own film school which provides education and various super 8, 16mm and 35mm cameras to my students, but I also work for LACHSA the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts.

Last year, my students shot two music video's on 16mm and did a photochemical finish on one of them.

This year, we're using a more standard digital workflow. The in-class task was to shoot a one class-period (3 hours) music video on 35mm. The stock was a donation and the processing and 4k transfer was paid for by the school.

I went through the camera with them the class prior and they all got a chance to load the magazines with dud film and the camera. For the actual music video shoot, all of them got to be behind the camera. We had a lot of fun making this very basic video and in the end, they did a great job. It's not easy to focus pull on 35mm with a flickering monitor, it's not easy getting the exposure right and lighting properly for 100 ISO (rated) stock we used. I'm pretty happy with the final product, even though it looks like a bunch of kids having fun. In the end that's what it's all about! These are high school students after all!

Specs:

Arricam LT 3 perf

Fuji Eterna Vivid 160T (rated at 100 ISO) no filter used exterior

4k Scan and 4k finish Pro Res XQ 12 bit 444.

class_arricam.jpg

• Upvote 4

Loved it, really fun! But when you said "seniors" on the subject line I thought it was going to be more along the lines of COCOON. ;-)

Speaking of seniors...the kid in the green "Danger" shirt...wow, that's me 35 years ago.

Edited by Samuel Berger

Yep, probably from 2012 ish. We got it from China. :)

IMO it was the best "higher contrast" stock of them all. The most shadow detail, the purest reds, just great color. When you overexpose the blue layer a bit (unfiltered in sunlight, or with a 81EF when it's overcast) it shifts to a more pastel palette with excellent, very natural flesh tones. Shoot it while there's some left!

• Premium Member

Lovely work, Tyler can we see your students music videos? Is it uploaded youtube or vimeo? i really wondered especially photochemical one.

I never transferred the photochemical music video to digital... it only exists on film. However, I can cut together the transfers! I'll do that! :)

• Premium Member

IMO it was the best "higher contrast" stock of them all. The most shadow detail, the purest reds, just great color. When you overexpose the blue layer a bit (unfiltered in sunlight, or with a 81EF when it's overcast) it shifts to a more pastel palette with excellent, very natural flesh tones. Shoot it while there's some left!

I love the stuff and I'm so sad I sold a bunch of it last year because I was broke and needed the money. Now I just want it back! LOL :)