Inexpensive 15mm rail system matte box for Aaton's

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

So I've got a small problem that I haven't yet been able to solve related to matte boxes and my Aaton's.

The rail kit which is standard on Aaton's, is a 15mm portable system, which is the narrower gap system.

So the problem I've been struggling with is, I haven't been able to find a single matte box that will work with the 117.6mm front diameter of the Rokinon Xeen's. The matte box themselves, can't go low enough, they hit the rails and leave the lens off-center.

Now I could use a clip on, but from my experiences with them on my Optars, they seem to damage the lenses.

So I'm trying to find a matte box solution that holds 4x4 filters and is small enough to fit into that little gap between the rails and where the lens starts.

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you looked into the JTZ Matte Boxes? I have one, and the front hole is something like 142mm. They are also built like a tank (tilta level quality) and only about $500. Mine is the 4x5.65 model, but they have a 4x4 model as well.

https://www.amazon.com/JTZ-DP30-Carbon-Fiber-Matte/dp/B01N36WKCT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513234402&sr=8-1&keywords=jtz+matte+box

I was under the impression the Xeens where 114mm, is that wrong? The largest metal ring appears to be 114mm though, but it should work.

PS) BH says the Xeen has a 114mm front, so that Matte Box should work.

PSS) If you're looking for more budget, the Fotga DP500iii Matte Box is also a great choice, at around $260, and features 114mm donut.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Thanks for the advice Landon.

I have a Red Rock Micro box that I got and the reason it doesn't fit is because the hole for the lens is too large.

So the mattebox in the "centered" position on the lens, puts the rail holder too high, so that big ring, hits the rails and prevents you from even putting it on.

Unlike "rigs" I can't adjust my rail height. It's a "fixed" height and it's VERY HIGH and very close to the lens, on both my 35 and 16 cameras (same sizing)

The DSLR matteboxes won't fit because they're designed for "rigs" not camera systems. :(

Alright, no problem. Just a note about the JTZ though, its not really a DSLR Mattebox. In fact, its more designed to mount with the likes of Reds, Alexas, and BMD's (their words, not mine). This is apparent when you get it, given its absolutely huge - and weights about 4x what the camera does, lol.

Don't know that it would help much, but the JTZ includes about 8mm of vertical adjustment as well. I don't really have experience with film systems, so it might not even be appropriate for that type of thing though.

Is there a way to adapt it to a 19mm system? The JTZ includes a 19mm adapter that rises the Mattebox assembly itself by about by another 10mm or so above the rails.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

I could buy a bridge plate, but that removes the camera's ability to be hand held... which makes the camera worthless to me unfortunately.

No other camera system I know of, has built-in rails. So that's why I said "rig" because you have to "rig" Alexa's and Red's to a bridge plate or dove tail which includes the rails. This raises the camera up quite a bit and gives the clearance necessary to put the mattebox on AND have that nice sliding adjustment.

I have used 2 different clip-on matte boxes without fail, so I may be stuck going that route.

• Premium Member

a good machinist could make you an adjustable height adapter which would attach to the existing rod mounting points on the camera body and have new mounting points which have adjustable height.

I don't know any factory made solutions for this but it would be more practical I think than try to find a perfectly fitting mattebox for the odd-rods.

you can also try a factory made riser on the rods to lower their level a little but usually these lower too much (like 2cm or so at minumum) so I think you would need one custom made and also more heavily built one if you are using handles on the rods

• Premium Member

Interesting ideas aapo, thanks! I got a machinist... maybe we can make a set of specialty rails that will allow me to run the matte box I have now.

I never thought about doing that as the Aaton rail system is pretty bullet proof.