Indoor Gymnastics Event with 500T?

Samuel Berger

Last year our gymnastics event had me shooting with a crappy consumer camcorder. This year I intend to shoot film, unless the security thinks my camera is a gun or something.

Unfortunately, I don't know what ISO that silly thing recorded at, but this is a screengrab of the opening ceremony.

post-10433-0-50493100-1513320818_thumb.jpg

The camcorder had some thing called "Wide Angle G" lens which supposedly is the reason why it does well in low light.

Will 500T do well with the level of lighting you see on that screengrab? Should I consider push processing?

By the way, the lighting was mostly fluorescent.

Edited by Samuel Berger

• Premium Member

Hard to tell in the screen grab. But I'd for sure not shoot with 500 indoors without direct lighting of some sort. Wide shots fine... but close up's of people, ya need SOME direct lighting on their face just to be safe. Otherwise, gotta push a stop and that just brings up the noise floor.

• Premium Member

I have shot lots of gymnastics events in sports halls and basketball arenas and they generally had aroundt F4 with pmw-EX1 camera so it should be possible with 500T.

But you screen grab looks like lots dimmer lighting than sports hall so I would expect shooting almost wide open or even pushing a stop with 500T. could be around F2.0 at 500ISO or even lower, impossible to tell without going there with a meter

It will be on January 6th, I'll come back to this thread while there and post what metering I get with my incident meter. I have a Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478D-U. I used to have a Spectra Cine meter but I lost all the inserts.

My Canon Fluorite 12-120 zoom only opens to f2.2.

My Angenieux 9.5-57 is a 1.6-2.2

I guess I'll put those on the twisting turret. That's going to turn even more heads...

• 2 weeks later...

Have I shown you this?

On the description the guy says:

"This is some footage from a short I shot last year. it is kodak 5219 pushed 2 stops, rated at 1250. Shot at a t/1.4/2 split on a 2-perf aaton penelope. all available light in atwater village, los angeles."

I thought it was weird that he said that, because if he rated it as 1250 then he underexposed the 500T and then pushed it. It doesn't make sense, why would you underexpose film in the dark?

• Premium Member

A regular 2 stop push would be be exposing the film at 2000 iso, so hes actually rating it at 320iso (x2 = 640, x2 = 1250). So hes building in some overexposure.

I think his ISO rating is kind of academic in this situation. The ambient/available lighting will be what it is regardless at what he puts on his light meter. He shot wide open, or close to it and pushed it 2 stops. It would make a difference if he is lighting, but its unclear if he is with the footage. He could just be netting and flagging street lamps, etc.

As for pushing and underexposing on top of it, I believe Gordon Willis did that on The Godfather, to get the lifted blacks and grain structure he wanted. So its not without precedence to do that.

• Upvote 1