sailing documentary 16mm

Prashantt Rai

post-61663-0-13520900-1513533924_thumb.png

Greetings Everyone!

Need some advice here on a sailing documentary which I have shot on S16 with an Arriflex SR3 camera.

After a lot of struggles and failures, I have reached 50% of what I really wanted to achieve. Anyways, I have started assembling the footage. Cinelab Mass., has done a good job.

I have the negatives scanned to 1080p HD without timecode. Few editor friends of mine suggested that I get the negatives scanned again with a timecode and then with a final cut timeline get a 2K scan and grading done the way we do for movies.

I wish to showcase the documentary in film festivals.

Do you think an HD output won't do justice? Generally,what formats are documentaries shown in film festivals?

advice and suggestions welcome.

post-61663-0-13520900-1513533924_thumb.png

A 1080 finish should be good. A 16mm neg can have a bit more detail scanned in a higher res. I think a 4k scan is the going to be the best for 16mm, not sure a higher res would be worth it.

For festivals, I think 1080 should suffice. Look into the festivals you plan to enter into and they should provide requirements on formats of your film.

• Premium Member

Honestly, I'd just do a 1080p telecine of everything. It masks a lot of the film grain which is nice and Super 16 only has around 2.5k worth of resolvable resolution. So you aren't really missing much with a 1080p telecine.

Ohh and capturing Key Code is worthless to you unless you're editing Avid, which is the only program I know of, which can store keycode information in your timeline.

The last two feature doc's I made were both 1080p and both screened in theaters, they looked fine. Remember, MOST theatrical content is 2k, which is basically the same thing.

A 1080 finish should be good. A 16mm neg can have a bit more detail scanned in a higher res. I think a 4k scan is the going to be the best for 16mm, not sure a higher res would be worth it.

For festivals, I think 1080 should suffice. Look into the festivals you plan to enter into and they should provide requirements on formats of your film.

The last two feature doc's I made were both 1080p and both screened in theaters, they looked fine. Remember, MOST theatrical content is 2k, which is basically the same thing.

Dan and Tyler,

thanks for the input. So I need not sweat for any additional workflow procedures. I will do the edit now.

• Upvote 1