How about a power window without feathering?

What sometimes happens?
A car driving through a square at sunset?

The car is composited into the scene.

The ground reflections also look odd.

He tagged "Joe Gawler" who was a colorist for the DI of "To Rome with Love".

It's a puzzle.

Edited by Samuel Berger
  • Upvote 1

Are the two of you seeing two distinct differently coloured areas on the pavement? :ph34r: I thought it was an error in the colour-correction process, but now that I see compositing mentioned (never would’ve seen that the car was composited, but now that you mention it, it is so obvious), perhaps it was that – compositing, not colour correction.

And the title of the thread is a reference to Phil’s thread: not only does soft focus happen, something like this above happens, too.

I hope I explained it. :D

• Upvote 1

>I hope I explained it. :D

You didn't. You assumed your audience knew what a power window was and you could have been referring to any one of half a dozen things..

And whoever left the red arrow, I'm sorry that mild obtuseness upsets you so much.
Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

It would help to know where this still came from. Is it a frame grab from a movie or commercial, or a still found on the internet?

"To Rome With Love" is my guess. The movie that shows that Woody Allen thinks that Italy is stuck in 1957.

Edited by Samuel Berger

Ok, so did it come from the movie itself, or from promotional material?

Funny you should ask, I just asked the same thing about that out-of-focus Luke thing.

I don't know where the shot came from, but he used "To Rome with Love" as a tag for the post.

Edited by Samuel Berger

From someone who knows his way around compositing, the car certainly doesn't look composited to me. As for the power window issue, I believe I see what you mean - the rather large oval shape on the right of the frame... I'd question the validity of this image, as that is a pretty glaring error that certainly wouldn't have made it past the eyes of any half-assed colorist.

Landon, do you really think I would fabricate this?

The screen capture comes from the film To Rome With Love. It happens just before 00:12:00 time stamp.

How this got into the end version of the film I do not know. Now that you say it, perhaps it doesn’t look composited, it just looks weird because of color correction applied that makes it somehow stand out and appear almost as glued onto the scene digitally or otherwise.

If it's there in the finished film, or at least, this version of the finished film, then it's clearly an error on the part of the colorist, which should have caught and corrected by either the colorist or the QC process. Sometimes things slip through. There was a SyFy channel movie I saw earlier this year where one of the stock footage shots still had the library's watermark on it. Embarrassing, but it happens.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it happens. I wasn’t trying to be mean when I started this; I just never encountered such a thing and thought it might be interesting. I actually found it long ago and the Star Wars soft-focus thread reminded me of the error.

Just to clarify that when I wrote about something being composited and glued onto in the post above I was of course referring to the car. :) Its outer edges give the impression that something happened here, probably as a result of colour correction.

Perhaps someone else has a Blu-ray of the film and could check if his/her version of it has the same error. :)

LOL @ the SyFy channel watermark leftover. Funny. :D

• Premium Member

To be honest, I don't see anything egregious in the still frame posted. I assume this shot was suppose to be set at dusk and they wanted that warm light, but couldn't find a place to introduce it, so they cleverly used the reflection off the ground. I think it works fine and doesn't disrupt the shot very much at all.

There are far more egregious things in movies, from the entire fight sequence from Titanic where they forgot to comp out the blue screen in the background windows, to crew members and even other cameras in scenes. Before it was easy to make comp's, you'd see all sorts of mistakes, but today it's so easy to make corrections, when you see issues, it seems more pronounced.

To be honest, I don't see anything egregious in the still frame posted. I assume this shot was suppose to be set at dusk and they wanted that warm light, but couldn't find a place to introduce it, so they cleverly used the reflection off the ground. I think it works fine and doesn't disrupt the shot very much at all.

It's not the color that's the problem, it's the hard edge on the power window.