Where to buy lens set for B&H Filmo?

Samuel Berger

Hey I just noticed the film is wound emulsion out. Interesting. In the manual it shows the feed spool inserted the opposite way from how my camera is loaded.

Weird. Camera original is always supplied EI. I wonder if it has been run through once and rewound, incorrectly, EO by hand, because with single perf the camera can't do it.

Presumably then it's been used as a loading roll. You can safely assume it's useless as camera film, I think.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Samuel, the cheapest stock you can use is black-and-white print film. Labs have long rolls of positive stock. You can build a good relationship with your favourite lab by buying, say, 400 foot of ORWO PF 2 (version 3) or Eastman 7302 from which you fill 100-ft. spools.

Those films are not sensitized, by nature only sensitive to ultraviolet, violet, and blue. Colours come wrongly, yellow-orange-reds are rendered darker than with panchromatic film (too light in the negative). But you have a fine-grain emulsion that develops within three or four minutes and that you can print on yourself with the camera (50-ft. lengths). I find filmmaking with positive stocks very instructive, basic. You’d start with an exposure index of ISO-ASA 10 in daylight. Trains one to larger lens stops, shorter depth of field, the discipline of focusing. Early Kodachrome had the EI of 10.

Weird. Camera original is always supplied EI. I wonder if it has been run through once and rewound, incorrectly, EO by hand, because with single perf the camera can't do it.

Presumably then it's been used as a loading roll. You can safely assume it's useless as camera film, I think.

Is it possible that it was respooled from a 400ft core? Either way, I'll just save it for fun experiments.

You’d start with an exposure index of ISO-ASA 10 in daylight. Trains one to larger lens stops, shorter depth of field, the discipline of focusing. Early Kodachrome had the EI of 10.

Dankesehr, Herr Professor, but I live in a city where it's darker outdoors than indoors for half the year, and indoors the lights are not that bright, I can't imagine using 10 ISO in this part of the world. But when I move back to CA, ja! Natürlich ja!

I have the Filmo oiled, I'll break out the Sylvania Sun Gun II and do a test roll today! Maybe even a registration test, depending on how far back I can rewind the film. Thank you all for helping with this project.

By the way, I do love my projector, but the British-only version by Bell & Howell and Gaumont is actually better: takes 1200ft reels.

Thank you, Simon. I thought I'd add this picture of the matching projector!

filmo11.jpg

The Bell & Howell Diplomat 173 is probably the best projector I've ever had so far. If it were a sound projector, there would be no need for me to buy another one, ever. Operation is a bit more involved than later projectors and the Run-Rewind lever seems to not matter much unless in Rewind position (the neutral position in between doesn't prevent normal operation). I'm willing to bet it will never jam or scratch the film.

Beautiful. Sorry to use your word Mr. Trump, but nothing else is sufficient to describe it.

And so steady and kind to the film. Actually I butchered mine to convert it into a single-frame projector, and regret it a little. Added a Leitz slide projector, also butchered, as the light source. Great for doing optical effects on a white card.

It's clear that this camera will see limited use as long as I live here in this place that the Sun forgot.

I went outside to take a lightmeter reading in "daylight" (ha). I get f/2.0 for 160 ISO (Tri-X) at 18 fps. My Filmo does 16fps, but the meter, a Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478D-U, doesn't read that. But I wouldn't take the Filmo 70-DR outside anyway because it's raining. As usual.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! I'm so jealous! I've stumbled into buying 3 cheap Filmo 70s (1 DA and 2 DR). I used to repair and/or tinker old watches so the ability to open these up and repair them appeals to me. All three appear to be running normally after some oiling or adjusting. But none of my 3 look as immaculate as yours! Nice find!

I think, like yourself, I'm a little skeptical of the critical focus device. Have you been able to focus any of your lenses using the critical focus? I happen to have a c-mount Canon TV 16 lens (25mm) that focuses perfectly on my Eclair NPR but for some reason can't focus at all on either of my Filmo DR cameras. I'd love to test these cameras out, but if I have to get out the tape measure for every shot, it will add a lot of time.

Thanks Bradley, I'm going to do a off-the-wall transfer later tonight from the results. I did use a tape measure for focusing and it came out a lot better than the Reflex focus on the Canon 814XL-S I also used. I was so worried about the focus not being reflex. It turned out to be great. From now on all my home movies will be made with the 70-DR

• Premium Member

There were only two brands to feature the rackover focusing system for small-gauge film, Bell & Howell with the Filmo models and Paillard-Bolex with the H models. I have just now finished service on an H-8 with three lenses and rackover accessory for a twenty years young customer who sais to be experienced in 16. Filmo 70s have a 15-diameter magnification of a center spot of the frame whereas Paillard offers only six and eight times magnification. The optics of the Bell & Howell critical focusing device can be adjusted to one’s eye. One needs a screwdriver with a fitting blade. In doubt leave the preparation and cleaning of this to a technician. The inner optics are lacquered, should not be disturbed, the distance of the ground surface to the lens seat.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

There were only two brands to feature the rackover focusing system for small-gauge film, Bell & Howell with the Filmo models and Paillard-Bolex with the H models.

I must again correct myself, there were three. Bell & Howell, Paillard-Bolex, and the French E. T. M. (Marcel Beaulieu). The P 16/9.5 camera was never given a slide base, though. Bell & Howell Co. offered a focusing alignment gauge for the Eyemo, too.

• 3 months later...

About 6-7 years ago I was able to buy a brand new Filmo as war surplus. Packaged in box and wrapped in oiled paper, Camera came in fitted very strong wooden box with lubricant and various pieces of hardware for routine maintenance. The lenses are labeled “television“. Can’t be more specific because not home now. Shot a test roll that came out well. Working on various projects has kept me from using camera, but intend to start in about three months. I believe its compactness will be just right for project.

When I get home, I will get details of lenses and ask for opinions.

Oh yes, camera cost less than $500. Later got a new surplus Singer 16mm projector for $300. An unusual event for me, I normally buy high and sell low.