What cameras are used for "The Flash" TV series?

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

OK, call me a old heretic (hang on; I've got the number here somewhere), but I think the TV Flash looks a lot more convincing than the one in Justice League, despite the latter being shot on film and for a much bigger budget.
The TV series has never been shown on Free to Air TV here, which used to be a pretty reliable indicator of dire-ness, but I took a punt on Season 1 on DVD at half price, and came back a week later for seasons 2 & 3!
OK, the stories are a bit silly in places, and they've gone a tad overboard with the PC stick, but it's far closer to the original DC comics platform than most of the WB mutations of the DC universe.
You know, sort of like how the first Iron Man movie knocked one out of the park after somebody finally listened to Stan Lee.... :rolleyes:

I just have this terrible feeling that I'm going to find out it was actually shot on ... well, you know....

and they've gone a tad overboard with the PC stick

That's why I avoid it but it is not near as bad as SUPERGIRL in that regard. The upcoming DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special should be interesting to watch since it brings back the First Doctor, who had zero PC attitudes, to interact with the 12th Doctor, who is nothing else than a vehicle for PC drivel.

"The Flash" is shot on an Arri Alexa and the VFX compositing done with Nuke.

• Premium Member

The Flash" is shot on an Arri Alexa

Phew! They clearly have no "disdain for Arri" then. :D
All I've ever seen of Supergirl is where she made a guest appearance in one episode of The Flash.
​She just looked like a so-so blonde actress in a rather poorly-made costume, obviously hanging from a crane.
Gal Gadot she ain't ....

The Flash" is shot on an Arri Alexa

Phew! They clearly have no "disdain for Arri" then. :D

All I've ever seen of Supergirl is where she made a guest appearance in one episode of The Flash.

​She just looked like a so-so blonde actress in a rather poorly-made costume, obviously hanging from a crane.

Gal Gadot she ain't ....

She's definitely not Helen Slater, though Slater appears in the show.

Watch out for some green-looking shots, though, they use Sony A7S IIs on some occasions.

The Wife and I have a couple of guilty pleasures of the various comic books/graphic novels adaptations to TV.

For the both of us:

Gotham

Flash

Arrow

For me:

Super Girl

DC Legends of Tomorrow

And not from a comic book/graphic novel

The 100.

I can safely say that all these shows have far better photography than any of the shows of my youth. 'fake' flying of Super Girl... doesn't hold a candle to the fakery of getting George Reeves to look like he was flying... then there's Adam West/Burt Ward dynamic duo in the mid 60s Batman. Ok, it was intended to be a bit camp...

Even in the case of say Super Girl which is shot in a lighter more flatter, more TV style, I can't really fault the production too much.

There has been a trend in TV shows to use more feature film lighting and in so far as budget is available better CGI/FX. I attribute this to finally moving away from NTSC/PAL limitations, and adopting the capabilities of the higher definition as well as wider range of intensity that is now commonly available on display screens in the home.

• Premium Member

'fake' flying of Super Girl...

Actually, it didn't look too bad when she was supposed to be flying, it's more when she's supposed to be floating around just before landing that looks dismally fake. It would have been better if they'd green-screened everything that involved her being off the ground.

And surely they could have done a better job on the costume. She looks like a former cheerleader from a little midwest town that nobody's ever heard of.... :rolleyes:

"I attribute this to finally moving away from NTSC/PAL limitations, and adopting the capabilities of the higher definition as well as wider range of intensity that is now commonly available on display screens in the home."

​That's what I was thinking too. Basically, they're making 45 minute feature films. It would be interesting to see what the Blu-Ray version would look like shown in a cinema.