American Honey - digital and film?

Chris Lange

I watched this not too long ago and liked the look.

I tried looking up something about its cinematography, which lists its formats as digital cinema (Alexa) and celluloid.

Does anyone know which was which in the movie?

Thanks!

Kodak 35mm for daylight scenes, Arri Alexa for night scenes. I remember reading an interview with the filmmakers around the time the movie was released in theaters. It's mood, look is somewhat similar to 'THE FLORIDA PROJECT', currently in theaters. That movie also used Kodak 35mm for day, Alexa, iPhone for a few night scenes.

Thanks!

I understand that when there is mixed format like this, digital would be used for low-light.

I was wondering if there are examples of other strategies towards a naturalistic approach using the two formats?

Thanks for your input on Florida Project as well.

• Premium Member

Hi Chris,

Silence from Scorsese, shot by Rodrigo Prieto, used film for daylight scenes and Alexa for night scenes.

The Homesman, again by Rodrigo Prieto, used film for daylight scenes and Sony F55 for night scenes.

Have a lovely day!

Thanks Miguel and David!

I still have to watch Silence. Will certainly be late viewing for me. Maybe this week.

Would be interested to know if anyone embraced film for night / dark in the past 1- 4 years.

Chris