Taping magazines, standard procedure?

Robino Jones

I never taped my Aaton 35 III magazines and never got any leaks. Now every-time I see BTS images of film shoots the magazines are always taped - even Panavision mags..

Is this standard procedure for film loaders as an extra precaution for light leaks or is it for stock identification?

I'm shooting a project tomorrow and I just taped my 3 mags all around, between the doors just to be sure.

I'm shooting a project tomorrow and I just taped my 3 mags all around, between the doors just to be sure.

Then your problems are over.

It is indeed an extra precaution, there's no reason to not tape up the magazines. Even a hairline bend somewhere can cause you to lose a lot of money.

Some people use white tape, others use black. I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZRYP38I/ But there are better options.

• Premium Member

most cameras don't need to be taped around all the door seams, even my Konvas mags can manage without all-round taping.

high-vibration and other rough environment applications are a different matter and may sometimes require all-round taping.

the main purpose of the tape is to identify that the magazine actually has film in it and what stuff that is and which reels etc.

If having no tape on it at all there is a great change that someone thinks the mag is empty and accidentally opens it which would ruin the film completely.

Generally the taping over the mag lock and another tape over the mag door is enough for identification and secures the mag well enough.

All seam taping is very useful in dusty environment though with all kind of mags ^_^

In the 80s people taped around the mag seal. Eclair ACL, Arri 16BL, Arri 2, the SR I can't remember. Those mags haven't gotten any younger. Maybe there are newer cameras with better seals. Maybe the philosophy on this changed...I don't know.

Taping mags is pretty easy. Good tape is just re-used. I liked a Scotch black paper camera tape. Opaque, couldn't see the magnalite through it, and it came off clean even after like 15 years if left where it shouldn't be. Some of the normal gaffer tapes I found the gum hard to get off if mistakenly left for a while on gear....

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

It wasn't usual to tape around the seal of Aaton 16mm or SR co axial mags ..in the UK in the 80,s anyway.. you would use the tape from the can to tape around the mags top to bottom .. over the mag latches .. sort of not a shape you could do the seal very well either.. but I did tape the 35mm displacement mags.. easier to do and usually more at stake I guess..

• Premium Member

A lot of adhesives residue tells the tech that a camera was in use. Not the most loved job to remove the goo.

The going got rougher regrettably. If crews would take a little more care of the most important equipment in movie production, tape on magazine rims were not necessary.

The canister seal tape should be disposed of to avoid misunderstandings. Fresh white or grey fabric adhesive tape should be used to reseal a can that holds exposed stock and EXPOSED EXPOSED EXPOSED written on it with a water-proof felt marker. The date may be added. Nothing should be done to the label so that the lab people have the full data. When taping a few cans together the uppermost should be stacked for label protection.

My 2 ¢

• Premium Member

the tape may actually damage the paint on some cameras so too much tape can actually be pretty bad too.

generally mags don't need tape all over the place IF the light seals and all the locks are in good condition and undamaged and the mag doors are not bent/the hinges work correctly etc.

As said even the Konvas mags can manage without tape in normal shooting.

generally the older mags with large doors (400/1000ft) and only one or two small locks may need the taping and other mags may require it if shooting shaky material handheld /lots of camera vibrations/etc OR shooting in dusty environment where it is necessary to protect the mag very well (though plastic bag or rain cover may be more practical for that than only taping the seams...

One reason why I'm not a big fan of excessive use of tapes is that they become very sticky and difficult to remove in low temperatures <_<

• Premium Member

Generally when shooting film; which was long ago; we taped the mags. It was both an extra precaution, as well as a way of identifying the stock loaded in the mag (and if the mag was loaded) quickly. Satsuki in 2007 mentions the old "suggested" tape pen colors:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=22088

If I was shooting 16mm without an assistant (which happened on some TV programmes) I'd wrap the tape from the raw stock can around from bottom to top, over the latches on both sides of my Aaton. Regardless of this, there would always be tape at some point on the side of mag, if only giving very basic info like roll number and stock details. If you don't, everything can get confused very quickly.

On larger productions, the assistant put in place their own mag taping system.

Having loaded film only a few times, I'm no expert but taping the seals and latches on older mags is a no brainer.

I had an SR2 mag pop open on me while taking it out of the loading bag having just checked the latches and door closures. Fortunately we only lost a cliptest worth from the otherwise fresh roll.

The latch on the feed side was very worn and would just give up occasionally. It went in for repair after the job but it had to stay in rotation so tape was very much in order.

• Premium Member

I never taped my Aaton 35 III magazines and never got any leaks.

Yea the Aaton 35 III magazines (like most modern cameras) have a very good sealing system that locks in place. The only way you'd get a light leak with that magazine is through the front where it connects to the camera. Be very cautious about that area, don't put it on the camera in bright light for instance. There is a rubber seal in that area, but it's hokey.

With the Aaton magazines (16 or 35) I always tape down the latches to prevent then turning by accident. I found this really neat stick-on whiteboard material that I use on my mags for "identifying" film stocks. It's just write-on and you can use permanent marker to put it on and if you use whiteboard marker over it, you can take it right off, no tape necessary. I'm not a fan of sticking tape on the 35III magazines because it will eventually pull off that gray coating, I've seen it happen. The XTR mags are fine to tape to.

• Premium Member

the main purpose of the tape is to identify that the magazine actually has film in it and what stuff that is and which reels etc.

Yep.

Big ugly bright colored tape means "think twice before opening."

Old 2C mags might benefit from a little light leak protection honestly.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I was taught to always tape mags along the sealing seams with black, paper "camera tape", but to also take a short section of the can tape and affix it to the mag for ID purposes.

When unloading the mag at the end of the day, confirm the film went back into the same can it came from, seal around the edges with camera tape and then wrap the remainder of the original sealing tape across the diameter of the lid to denote exposed stock.

Of course, be sure not to ship the film mag core adapter back with the rawstock!

You then cleaned the mags inside and out to remove any dirt or tape residue and then reloaded them for the next day's shoot.

Just the way I was taught...

I used to use a 3M Scotch black paper camera tape. very opaque, and it came off clean even 15 years later (true story). Now it's called Scotch 235 black camera tape and they told me the performance is the same. I'l tell you if that's true in 15 years... :) The Suretape CP743 that the local production supply shop sold was not really opaque. They didn't have the Scotch.

• Like 1