Some Canon C200 samples

Samuel Berger

• Premium Member

It's pretty amazing for Canon to unlock RAW on a camera for this price. The same would be said if Sony did it on the FS5 or something similar. Blackmagic (which i spent the last 2 days with in RAW) doing it isn't really the same deal-- as it's not the same kind of company as Sony/Canon/Panasonic who have thrived on segmenting their products with "raw' or any flavor only being a recent (ish) adoption in their flagships. It's the same kind of kudos Red got by including prores when that's something Arri has always had.

• Upvote 1

This video is called "Pulling the Trigger on the Canon C200" and I was very entertained by it. Rather than reviewing the gear, Mr. Skylight reviewed the purchasing decision making process instead!

Anyone considering buying the Canon C200 will be familiar with the issues addressed in this video. He shot it in C200's MP4 Wide DR mode.

puredrifting wrote:

Personally, I am happy with the C200. Since they shipped the XF-AVC upgrade that duplicates the file naming system for the CRL, I had an epiphany. The C200 is simply a CRL camera, period. The XF-AVC is intended for proxy workflows, period. The camera is not intended for broadcast, it's intended to shoot CRL, period. That's why I doubt that the 4:2:2 10-bit codec will ever come to it, that's not why Canon made the camera. When it only had the .MP4 codec, many of us were thinking that it should be a good enough codec for non-CRL work and for some it is. But take a good objective look at the C200 today with the new firmware, it's a freaking $7,500.00 internally recording RAW camera. Period. Stop thinking about it as handicapped because it doesn't have a 4:2:2 10-bit XF-AVC codec. It's not handicapped, it's intended for anyone shooting it to shoot RAW. Perfect short form, commercial, music video and indie film, and it's pretty good for documentaries if you don't need to roll 6-12 hours of footage per day, almost 3 hours of CFast 2.0 cards, if you buy the Egodisk cards, is only $1,500.00, that's not outrageous for a $7,500.00 camera. Not intended for weddings, long events and for other users who need to roll all day. If that's you and you want a Canon, buy the C300 MKII, it's perfect for that!

I'm not saying I agree with Canon's marketing strategy but at least now I understand the intent. If you think about it that way, it's really quite a disruptive camera seeing that it comes from one of the big three Japanese. As far as the C300 MKIII/C400 or whatever it will be called, I think that will be for the exact same audience as the C300 MKII, users who need a mid-range codec but then they'll be able to shoot two slots of CRL as well. If you look at how Canon has historically marketed and segmented, it all makes sense, even if it doesn't to you. Viewed through their lens though, it now makes a lot of sense to me. They do need a C100 MKIII for it to make total sense though, just a C200 without CRL for $4k to $5k. That would work, especially if they gave the it 305 Mbps XF-AVC codec from the XC-15 to V60/90 cards like the EVA 1.

So apparently as of the last update, Premiere Pro is accepting Canon Raw Light CRM files. I don't know about Avid yet. DaVinci Resolve has had some support for it for a while, but I'm seeing new menu options for it in Resolve's camera raw tab.
I see on Youtube that the base 8-core iMac Pro has no issues at all with the CRM workflow. Sounds like the C200 and the iMac Pro are a winning combination.

An expensive combination.

Edited by Samuel Berger