Blackmagic Ursa Mini Update 4.9 is out...and enables SSD recorder on 4K!

Samuel Berger

Camera v4.9 update for URSA Mini 4K and URSA Mini Pro is now available and can be downloaded from our website. Release information regarding this release can be found below.

Please ensure that your device is plugged into mains power before running the software update. For users updating an URSA Mini from Camera 4.0 or above it is advisable to export your presets and LUT’s onto a card as they will be removed during this update.

What’s new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 4.9...

New features for URSA Mini 4K

Added support for URSA Mini SSD Recorder on URSA Mini 4K.
• Lowers SDI output latency to less than 1 frame for live production.
• Lowers LCD monitoring latency.
• Added ability to switch between shutter speed and angle.
• Added scrubbing support for playback in camera.
• Added autofill option for lens manufacturers in metadata slate.
•*Improved keyboard for metadata slate.
• Improved support for B4 lenses.
•*Fixed zoom control bug on Canon 18-80mm T4.4
•*Fixed focus control on Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM and USM lenses.
•*Fixed iris control on Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM zoom lens.
• Fixed bug where lens change was not recognised in metadata if powered off.
• Added new SDI Camera Control v1.2 documentation to URSA Mini Manual.

New features for URSA Mini Pro

• Fixed a bug where pressing the ‘still’ button causes a crash.

I'm happy to see the 4K has not been abandoned. I sure can use the SSD recorder.

Hasn't the Atomos-line of external recorders always been an option for an SSD recorder on the 4K/Mini Pro? Just take the BNC out from the camera.

To the best of my knowledge they don't play well together, and can't 4K together. I might be wrong since I last looked at this a year ago and at the time, we thought updates would come.

But the Blackmagic SSD recorder is official, costs $200 less than the Atoch C2S, and isn't a weird Chinese contraption like the Cheesycam Tech CCTECH SSD. The only disadvantage is that it only houses one SSD while the non-official adapters are able to hold two each.

For my money I will go with the BM, because later if I upgrade to the Pro, I can still use the SSD recorder. And everything else but the lenses.

• Premium Member

I have been using Ursa Mini with an Atomos Shogun to record 4K for some time. The SDI output on the camera is 6-gigabit and supports 4K up to 30P; as far as I am aware this configuration has been supported by both devices for as long as they have coexisted.

The crucial benefit of a first-party recorder would be the ability to record high frame rate (which I assume it'll do.)

In my view the biggest improvement here is in the latency, which I would assume will also improve the viewfinder latency.

P

Phil, do you have any thoughts on a Shogun Flame with the Ursa Mini? I considered it only in case I eventually find myself able to get that C300 Mark II. It would definitely futureproof my purchasing choice as the Flame is Canon-recommended.

Your best option for the Atomos right now is to buy the Shogun Inferno. It takes SDI and HDMI inputs. It also has an loop-through. Another great advatntage to the Atomos recorders is that you're also getting an amazing 7", full-HD monitor that all kinds of scopes and things that helps you out on set. You could also look into Blackmagics own 7" Video Assist, which is basically the same thing as the Shogun Inferno, only about $400 less. Have no experience with it though, but it might play better with the Mini 4k. Of course, it still shoots on tiny SD cards, which would be a killer for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm happy to see the 4K has not been abandoned. I sure can use the SSD recorder.

Sweet news for ultra low budget shooters!

As the URSA Mini 4K is very very cheap secondhand, and while CFast prices have come down, a SSD is even cheap!