MPEG Streamclip issue - software requires update

Patrick Cooper

MPEG Streamclip refuses to work anymore. When I try and open video files within the software or try and render them, I get this message: "Your MPEG-2 Playback Component needs to be updated." It also says that the new version can be downloaded from Apple at the following address - www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update. Problem is the link doesn't work. Ive done a google search and didn't come across anything worthwhile. Ive also posted this query on other forums and nobody knows of a solution.

I downloaded MS again but that makes no difference. Same problem exists.

• Premium Member

MPEG Streamclip refuses to work anymore. When I try and open video files within the software or try and render them, I get this message: "Your MPEG-2 Playback Component needs to be updated." It also says that the new version can be downloaded from Apple at the following address - www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update. Problem is the link doesn't work. Ive done a google search and didn't come across anything worthwhile. Ive also posted this query on other forums and nobody knows of a solution.

I downloaded MS again but that makes no difference. Same problem exists.

I presume you're using a Mac. Unfortunately Apple don't seem to care too much about third-party software.

I stopped using MPEG streamclip for the PC ages ago as there are far better apps available now, many of them freeware.

You could always use FFMPEG (builds are available for just about all platforms including Mac and Linux). Most of the available freeware video editors and DVD ripping programs actually use large chunks of the original FFMPEG source code, with a friendly GUI tacked on :-)

I'm using a Windows 7 PC and I haven't made any upgrades. I once tried to use FFMPEG or something similar but it went over my head - couldn't make sense of it. Are there any easier to use freeware programs that you would recommend? Most of the time, I would want to use it for converting videos to .MOV with the h264 codec, change bitrate etc.

• Premium Member

I was able to repair it by copying the mpeg2 playback component to the Library from other osx installation and tweaking but it did not work the first try by just copypasting and I don't remember exactly how I got it working.

so it IS possible to repair but it needs to be done manually :unsure:

AppleMPEG2Codec.component should be the correct file at Macintosh HD > System > Library > Quicktime

• Premium Member

I'm using a Windows 7 PC and I haven't made any upgrades. I once tried to use FFMPEG or something similar but it went over my head - couldn't make sense of it. Are there any easier to use freeware programs that you would recommend? Most of the time, I would want to use it for converting videos to .MOV with the h264 codec, change bitrate etc.

Can you tell me exactly what it is you want to do.

As in convert 1920 x 1080 MPEG4 to 320 x 240 MPEG1

I've got an old Windows 7 Desktop that has a variety of video editing/converting programs installed on it.

I mostly use VideoPad with the paid upgrade but Any Video Converter is free and works pretty well:

https://any-video-converter-freeware.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-347.2

It's what I recommend for non-technical people who just want an easy-to-use converter.

The user interface couldn't be much simpler:

post-14557-0-88116200-1515805132_thumb.jpg

AviDemux is a really powerful and fast editing tool if you just want simple cuts, but it has a fairly steep learning curve.

FFMPEG is really fast, but the learning curve for that is almost vertical :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Can you tell me exactly what it is you want to do.

Sorry for the late reply. Basically what I want to do is convert 1080p mp4 files to 1080p mov files with the h264 codec and be able to adjust bitrate as well. Ive had a look at Any Video Converter but can't see mov among the list of containers / formats it supports.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

Options for changing / preserving the frame rate and aspect ratio would be good too. I find some video converters too simplistic and others too complex. I would also like free software as well. I hope that's not a big ask. A google search didn't turn up much at all - mainly showed the ones that are too simplistic (which won't allow you to make many adjustments.) I did come across an online converter that looked promising but their terms and conditions implied that they had rights to use the files you upload without any limitations of time or space. I didn't like the sound of that.

• Premium Member

Can you run resolve free on your computer? If so you can simply use that to convert.

AVID's free media composer might do it as well (but honestly haven't tried.)

I'm also pretty sure VLC can do that, but honestly i've never gotten VLC to work as advertised.