Comments on my work / New to the forum

Hi All, I am new to the forum and would love for you comment on my work. Just as an introduction, I am not a cinematographer by trade, during the day I work for Audi as a car designer in Germany. On my free time and during my travels I express my creativity through photography/videography and as a result have a new found interest in cinematography. Here are some videos I would love to get feedback on as I am looking to improve. Many more can be found on my Vimeo channel. Cheers and enjoy!

Hello Jason, welcome to the forum.

First, and maybe sound weird in a cinematography forum, but great music in the videos. I believe that the music was just right with everyone, and in the slow motion ones, was mix perfect because was totally engaging.

The first one, home, was beautiful, and love the composition too. What lens you used? because the footage was pretty smooth (in all the videos).

The second one was my favorite, because was totally different and make me think about street photography (pau buscató for example, a barcelonean photographer). Some moments playing with shadows and lines were sublime.

The third about the airport was good, great music.

The forth one, the footage about the city was really good too and let me wanted to see more about the city.

The last one was interesting, and like it, but maybe could be short, but I'm glad to knew about that river surfing (we don't have things like that in here).

Well, really beautiful work and great choice about the music. I wonder if you try to add some foley to some footage, not only music. Maybe you can try who that works for you.

Bye!

Hello Jason, welcome to the forum.

First, and maybe sound weird in a cinematography forum, but great music in the videos. I believe that the music was just right with everyone, and in the slow motion ones, was mix perfect because was totally engaging.

The first one, home, was beautiful, and love the composition too. What lens you used? because the footage was pretty smooth (in all the videos).

The second one was my favorite, because was totally different and make me think about street photography (pau buscató for example, a barcelonean photographer). Some moments playing with shadows and lines were sublime.

The third about the airport was good, great music.

The forth one, the footage about the city was really good too and let me wanted to see more about the city.

The last one was interesting, and like it, but maybe could be short, but I'm glad to knew about that river surfing (we don't have things like that in here).

Well, really beautiful work and great choice about the music. I wonder if you try to add some foley to some footage, not only music. Maybe you can try who that works for you.

Bye!

Thanks for the detailed feedback Giacomo! Every video you see there was done with the same camera and lens combo, Nikon D5500 and the 16-140mm VR lens. The VR stabilization really helps to keep things smooth, as I don't yet have a steady-cam, so everything you saw was hand-held. I agree that in my next videos I will try something other then just music, as I push further I of course would like to share more stories then just documenting city's or events. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

OP...they look very good. But I didn't watch them all, just bits and pieces of them. I found the first one a little boring for me, but I got ADD so I may not be the best critique for fairness.

You comp and IQ was very good. I am not into landscapes much, so I preferred the people, the ones with actual people not just feet walking. Sure, I understand you are injecting art, but it just did not appeal to me that much to hold my attention.

I do street and documentary still photos and manage a small gauge film archive. This is more of the style I am into, so you can see, where I'm coming from in my critique.

Candid...

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/21whoop-whoop-21-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr.jpg

To me IQ only so goes far, I like something interesting happening. When you shoot off the cuff things are not perfect. I'm also prejudiced to using super wides. I specialize in shooting candid in your face photos.

I'd tell you to keep up the work, you got talent!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

OP...they look very good. But I didn't watch them all, just bits and pieces of them. I found the first one a little boring for me, but I got ADD so I may not be the best critique for fairness.

You comp and IQ was very good. I am not into landscapes much, so I preferred the people, the ones with actual people not just feet walking. Sure, I understand you are injecting art, but it just did not appeal to me that much to hold my attention.

I do street and documentary still photos and manage a small gauge film archive. This is more of the style I am into, so you can see, where I'm coming from in my critique.

Candid...

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/21whoop-whoop-21-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr.jpg

To me IQ only so goes far, I like something interesting happening. When you shoot off the cuff things are not perfect. I'm also prejudiced to using super wides. I specialize in shooting candid in your face photos.

I'd tell you to keep up the work, you got talent!

Thanks for your critique Daniel! I get your points as I also want to go further with some shots and wide angles. I actually bought an 11-16mm Tokina which I rarely use and need to incorporate more often. I see where your coming from in terms of style, so valid comments. Thanks for taking the time!