Safe materials for creating light shafts

Kim Bolan

No experience with it at all. It says it's water based. No idea what that means, or how it impacts its performance. I usually use a DF50, but on the occasions we don't have one, or if it's a shoot where we can't afford one, i have a little $100 party fogger which works fine.

• Premium Member

I use a Stairville branded small hazer sold by Thomann.de which is at about 100euros price range. Has worked very well for me. Get a model which is easily adjustable and can do continuous small haze output . smoke machines are good for making smoke clouds but for atmosphere you wwill really want to use a hazer and fan to get continuous output so that the look does not vary from take to take

American Dj haze generator is a slightly derated clone of the df50...for a lot less cash. Basically the exact same effect BUT it cannot saturate as large of a space. Small sets it works beautifully and can use all of the same fluids as df50. Larger sets rent a df50. It’s Loud but because it is oil based it doesn’t require heat up time. On is on, off is off.

Also, the Antari fazer series are quite good and inexpensive, and have a REALLY useful feature - they’re sealed so the can be used flat or upright without leaking. That’s a big deal in terms of sneaking it into corners or under furniture without dripping juice everywhere. But they are water based so they do have initial heat up time and do not create quite the same quality of haze as the oil crackers like the df50 or haze generator.

• Premium Member

American Dj haze generator is a slightly derated clone of the df50...for a lot less cash. Basically the exact same effect BUT it cannot saturate as large of a space. Small sets it works beautifully and can use all of the same fluids as df50. Larger sets rent a df50. It’s Loud but because it is oil based it doesn’t require heat up time. On is on, off is off.

Also, the Antari fazer series are quite good and inexpensive, and have a REALLY useful feature - they’re sealed so the can be used flat or upright without leaking. That’s a big deal in terms of sneaking it into corners or under furniture without dripping juice everywhere. But they are water based so they do have initial heat up time and do not create quite the same quality of haze as the oil crackers like the df50 or haze generator.

The MSDS for ADJ Haze/G FOG Mist Liquid indicates the fluid's health hazard as - "INHALATION NO SIGNIFICANT HEALTH HAZARDS IDENTIFIED". This product is a low fire hazard (Flash Point > 3,400 F). The ability to have on/off control without preheating of the product combined with no respiratory hazards and a very high flash point I think makes an ideal solution. The MSDS download is available at www.adj.com/hazeg

Well, yes. It's still widely sold as a cosmetics product. I'm not sure what uses it's banned for.

When Fullers Earth is inhaled in dust form it's a potential lung hazard. The issue being that although a clay product, it may contain some silica. How much silica is enough to create long term issues? I don't know. Can't find the reference, but I recall reading that Fullers Earth was banned on Sag shoots.

MSDS: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924104

See:

https://www.csatf.org/pdf/ifs_dust.pdf

https://www.csatf.org/pdf/10ARTIFICIAL_SMOKE.pdf

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

the problem with very fine airborne mineral particles is that some of them don't come out of the lungs after once inhaled.

that's like, they never come out of there, ever. so one builds up small stone particles inside one's lungs and they cause fibrosis etc until one can't breath anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumoconiosis

I don't know how much of a hazard this would be with the on-set use of Fullers Earth but I would not use any mineral dust for effects without protection just to be sure.

It is a serious medical condition after all, thousands of people have died from it and even if not being super dangerous for very short term use the mineral dust will still have some negative health effects.

Kind of like exposing the crew and cast to large amounts of tobacco smoke for days and days and expect it not having any negative health effects...