DaVinci Resolve with Filmconvert randomly stops rendering

Samuel Berger

DaVinci Resolve with Filmconvert randomly stops rendering at different intervals. Been trying to render DNG from BMPCC into different formats and it just stops, no matter what speed I set it to. This is a new issue I wasn't having before. I have Filmconvert set to render with OpenCL and I can't think of any reason why Resolve would suddenly start doing this kind of thing. Any ideas?

Resolve stopped crashing on me when I updated to the latest version. Which version are you running? Before the update, I couldn't get it to render anything when using OpenFX plugins - it would either start the render and crash randomly or just sit there at 0% and not budge. If you have the latest version, re-install Resolve and then Film Convert (in that order) and try again.

Also, are you using a AMD or nVidia graphics card? Resolve plays much better with AMD graphics cards when using OpenCL, since AMD has a better OpenCL implementation. nVidia has been stuck on CUDA so long that they have neglected OpenCL from a driver standpoint. As a last ditch effort, try re-installing your graphics card driver.

Hi, I have just spent hours on this and I have no idea what is wrong with it. I had 14 before, just installed 14.2 and still the same issue. On PC, Windows 7, AMD card, OpenCL.

One thing I found interesting: it couldn't uninstall Resolve Panels and after I used Geek Uninstaller to remove it, it couldn't install Resolve Panels again. I have no idea what it does so I guess it's not important.

Same thing going on still, renders to 40%-60% thereabouts, then the frames per second go down to 0 and nothing happens. If I end the program, the process still runs. Can't force quit the process either, it just hangs there until reboot.

It used to work fine, then one day it didn't.

Resolve Panels is the program used to install and manage the Blackmagic control panels for the software - If you have a physical control panel from Blackmagic, then you'll need it. If not, you won't. I use the Tangent Element panel system, so I don't use it.

The issue you're experiencing is exactly what I experienced, and mine happened anytime I attached an OpenFX plugin to a clip. I can't say for sure what fixed it, but the steps I took in order was to: Install latest graphics drive, fully un-install resolve and all OpenFX plugins, then reinstall them again, with resolve installed first. I used the latest build from backmagic site for the re-install.

If all else fails, sometimes the best course of action is to completely re-install the OS. As long as you keep a backup of files, the only down side is the time to reinstall the programs and move your files back.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

What worked for me was to switch from GPU rendering in Filmconvert to CPU rendering. So the clip took about 5 hours to render and it's only 9 minutes long. It rendered at 1 fps which makes me wonder if it was utilizing multiple cores at all.

I'm not happy with this, but at least I'm closer to troubleshooting.

My experience with Resolve and OpenFX has not been good. OpenFX in general is a very sketchy platform, and I really wish Black Magic had went with their own plugin format. OpenFX has to work with all openFX programs, which means there is almost always some issues with every implantation. As much as I like 'open'=type technology, you are always going to be making compromises when you have to program something for every type of application -- its why most 'open' license programs don't enjoy professional use.

My experience with OpenFX in Resolve is with Film Convert, the Magic Bullet suite, and Hitfilm Ignite plugins. Film convert works, but is still slow and does crash every now and again - the only plugin from MB that will load is Looks. Meanwhile, the Hitfilm plugins seem to all work perfectly fine.

Edited by Landon D. Parks