Is there such a thing as an Electrical to Mechanical cable release?

Gareth North

Hi All,

I bought a Hague Levitator. Its basically a poor mans steadicam:-

https://www.haguecamerasupports.com/steadycam-stabilizers/hague-levitator-stabilizer

Its mainly for DSLR cameras but it works for cameras up to 2.4kg which intrigued me as I thought I could put my Bolex 16mm camera on it as its under the weight (just) and it works very well on it:-

21c7760641d19c05c182.jpg

Only thing though is I'm having trouble setting it running using the mechanical cable release. Trying to hold the cable relase (freely unsecured) in my right hand along with the right grip handle of the Levitator and try and with some force press the plunger and keep it plunged and move and hold the rig is pretty difficult.

Also if there is some movement of me holding the end of the cable release that pulls on the cable and the middle of the rig moving it and unsteadying the shot.

The only option I can think of going forwards are either:-

1) Drill a hole stright through the right grip handle to put the cable relase through although that doesn't seem to stop movement of the cable even when i hold it steady when the cable is moving inside the cable release it unsteadys the rig a little so I don't think its the perfect solution.

2) Buy an old school style self timer I can set running before it fires that would allow me to set it running and grip the rig and let it settle down from swaying before the camera starts runnning. But I suspect this is going to run and run and on some shots I'll want to stop it running without having to put the rig down and stop it which will waste me film.

OR

I was wondering if there is some cheap device that will allow me to hold down a physically easy to press electic button placed on the right grip a wire could be strung to a device which will attach to the camera mechanical release to push the camera release and unpush it as and when I press down the electric release button.

Any Ideas? Greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Gareth North

Web master of

http://bolexh16user.net/

• Premium Member

I can only echo Jean-Louis's comments that this is likely to be something you'll need to build yourself.

On the upside, it's never been easier to do this sort of thing, and you could easily do it with a radio or perhaps infra-red remote system so you didn't need any cables crossing the gimbal. The electronics are relatively easy; the trick will be the mechanics.

P

This is unrelated to your question, but I was wondering how well the camera balances, considering that its center of gravity is entirely above the rig.

I'm also interested. Maybe an attached motor would help, with the battery below the rig, or would this cause problems ? Do you have any footage yet to show us Gareth ?

If using the spring motor in the H16, could you not simply click the release onto continuous-run ?

I'm also interested. Maybe an attached motor would help, with the battery below the rig, or would this cause problems ? Do you have any footage yet to show us Gareth ?

If using the spring motor in the H16, could you not simply click the release onto continuous-run ?

He doesn't want to waste film or cause a wobble on the rig. Although there will be some sort of jolt as the solenoid operates.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your input on this. I quiet like what the guys have done here on being able to control a Bolex via Radio Control on a drone:-

At 0:36 you see something push the front camera release. Any idea what they might be using?

But in any case I want to carry this rig which isn't that heavy around in a shoulder bag with my usual camera and film so i can swap between normal handheld shots and the poor mans steadicam any time. Jerry rigging solenoids on the side to get it to work seems a bit time consuming.

So I've had an brainwave I think it might be easier for me to buy a Bolex Self timer:-

http://bolexh16user.net/SelfTimerUnit.htm

According to my website :) (whenever I researched this some years ago) You get 6 seconds once you press the plunger to setup a shot which can last between 5 and 20 Seconds and there are a few available on ebay right now. Not sure if it attaches on the side or front release I suspect I can velcro strip it to the camera so I can remove and add it as and when required. Hopefully 6 seconds is enough to press and pickup the rig and it settle down before the shot starts.

In resonse to your question Stuart Brereton The camera seems very steady walking around with it, I'm very pleased with having the ability to quickly go steadicam whenever I want with the minimum of fuss. Probably need to go gym to increase the handling time I can use it before tiring.

Best Regards

Gareth North

Web master of

http://bolexh16user.net/

Edited by Gareth North

• 3 years later...

Nikon made an MR3 mechanical/electrical 3-pin switch to add a mechanical button to the electrical release port on many of its cameras and motor drives. This could be used as the first part of the interface for an electrical plunger. 

Phil Forrest

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, Gareth North said:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your input on this. I quiet like what the guys have done here on being able to control a Bolex via Radio Control on a drone:-

At 0:36 you see something push the front camera release. Any idea what they might be using?

servo motor with linear actuator, very easy to control with regular RC car remote

Edited by Johanan Pandone