The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

• Premium Member

So cool. Im new and just read your Bio and saw your work for this show. My wife and I LOVE the show and one thing I pointed out to her was the Cinematography.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Who else has binged through season 2?

I'm curious if anyone has any solid guesses, or knows (ahem Mr. Mullen), how the "baseball hitting scene" in the last episode was done. Clever VFX? Actors are talented athletes? Slight of hand & sound design?

The scene has kept me up at night... there's no way they actually hit all those baseballs during that long one shot and with the camera in front of the bats, right?!

Beautifully done either way. I love this show.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, how was the pull out orchestrated in the scene that begins with the miniatures of the suitcases on the episode where the family heads up to the catskills? It goes from a shot of Shalhoub in his study to a shot of the ladies with their racks of clothes. Seems too quick to be steadicam and I would think an accordion style crane perhaps, but I think I heard in an interview that most of the series is shot on location and fitting a crane in an apartment seems unmanageable.

• Premium Member

The apartment is a set but it’s elevated about 10 feet or so in the air and we would have had to rip out a window wall and put steel deck outside to get a Technocrane up there, but the problem would have then been that we couldn’t pull back fast enough.

We put an electric skateboard type rig on a wooden track to drive the camera back — a Movi was on top so we could then detach and move the camera over sideways to the other part of the room. Visual effects had to remove the wood ramp and put the carpet back in.

Thank you for the response and congratulations on the success of the series. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is probably the 2nd show that I've been absolutely enamored with (the first being Game of Thrones). I binged the first two seasons in a matter of days in between jobs. Would you be open to posting lighting diagrams for requested episodes?

Any insights you could offer up on your favorite types of lights for the series or generally? I was offered my first feature (unfortunately probably will have to turn it down) and I primarily like to use an m18, skypanel, and quasars (or tungsten when the story fits it) or other small kickers but hoping to expand my repertoire. I should note that I'm not a fan of kino flos as the color temperature seems to vary greatly from bulb to bulb and I don't have the luxury of going through a reputable G&E rental company yet. Hoping for advice on lights for smaller sets, I won't be lighting any big spaces for years haha. Never went to film school so most of my knowledge is from working on set as an ac and watching gaffers.

Edited by Jinuk Lee

• Premium Member

I finished watching the second season last night and I immediately started listening to your podcast about it!

Loved both, the tv series and the podcast! :) Thanks for all the insights and congratulations, it is a wonderful tv series!!!

Just in case somebody else hasn't listened to it, here it is:

https://ascmag.com/podcasts/the-marvelous-mrs-maisel

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Just listened to the podcast you did for American Cinematographer on the series David, and it was terrific. Loved that you got right into the nitty gritty of it.

It sounds like a really interesting and enjoyable series to be working on.