• Premium Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share with ye all the trailer of a short-film I shot early in 2016, thanks to it I started shooting commercials.

Directed by Daniel Corcoran, we shot Miah during 5 days in February 2016 in a town called Allihies in West Cork, Ireland.

Everything was shot with natural and available light with an Epic Dragon from Panavision.

We chose spherical Schneider Kreuznach Cine Xenon Vintage for the interiors and Lomo Anamorphics for the exteriors plus a couple of shots with Panavision Primos where I wanted to give the image a bit more of contrast.

The way we decided to work was to shoot wide static shots and let the actors play within the frame, sometimes doing things off frame because both, Daniel and myself, love the way that spaces can tell a story too with some close ups IF the scene needed them.

We both love Russian and Eastern European cinema and the work of Bela Tarr, Zvyagintsev, Paddy Considine, Ceylan and many others which I think that it shows in the short-film.

The whole budget was around €5000 if I remember correctly and we were a total of 6 people including the actor :) so a super passion project! :)

Without further ado, here you go, the trailer for the short-film and some png frames.

Miah
https://vimeo.com/203587956

130958.png

131005.png

131013.png

131021.png

131027.png

If somebody is curious and wants to watch the whole short-film (it is about 15 minutes) the link is below:

Miah - Short film
https://vimeo.com/185510929
Pass: Miah

Have a lovely day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Looks gorgeous from the trailer Miguel! The lensing works a treat - I wouldn't have thought it was digital if you hadn't mentioned it.

What was it about the film that convinced you to move to commercials instead?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Aaaw!

Thank you so much Mark! :)

Actually it was bad wording from my part! I meant that thanks to it I started shooting commercials :)

I already amended it on the original post :D

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Beautiful work, Miguel!

Your framing, lighting and lens choices really give it a unique look and atmosphere. Quite melancholic and representative of the feelings one might get while being out in the countryside. Very fitting for the piece.

Many thanks for the kind words Vladimir.

We are currently developing a feature based on the same themes, hopefully we will shoot it this year! :)

Have a lovely day!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

I woke up with a piece of amazing news.

Miah is being screened tonight (Monday 18th) on RTE2 in Ireland on its program called Shortscreen.

I'm pretty sure that not a lot of you live in Ireland so you will be able to watch it from tomorrow on the RTE player :)

www.rte.ie/player/

Or you can still watch it on Vimeo through my link on the post above :)

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Just watched it.. lovely sir.. amazing all natural light .. loved the framing.. esp when the guy is in with the doctor .. takes balls !.. and on the phone out of frame.. nice one..

Many thanks Robin!!!

Every time I watch it I'm torn apart because those are the kind of images that I want to make and the way I love working but I can't do that on commercials and I haven't found any other director who wants to work that way.. so I hope that Daniel writes his movie soon and we can shoot it ha!

Or maybe I should just move to Romania and make movies over there :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have a lovely day!

Congratulations on the television broadcast, Miguel.

I very much enjoyed the short, especially the bold directorial and framing choices throughout.

Do you remember what sensitivity and stop you were shooting for the dim daylight and candlelit interiors? Did you maintain one ISO across the film?

Thank you for sharing it in full here.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Congratulations on the television broadcast, Miguel.

I very much enjoyed the short, especially the bold directorial and framing choices throughout.

Do you remember what sensitivity and stop you were shooting for the dim daylight and candlelit interiors? Did you maintain one ISO across the film?

Thank you for sharing it in full here.

Thanks for your kind words Patrick!

First time ever having a short-film on tv!! The director said that it looked good!

I shot everything at 1600ASA and the T-stop that I had on the lenses was probably T2.3 all the time.

There were moments (like when he is getting out of bed) that I couldn't see anything on the monitor other than the window but surprisingly enough they came out really well.

Really nice, I love the long 2 shot in the car - just letting the location to the work (I'm not really sure what the Actors were saying at that point)

Liked how dark you let the frame go

Thanks Phil!!! :)

That road leads to a place called Dursey Island (where the cable car is) and it is extremely beautiful.

Daniel just told the guys (non professional actors) to make conversation.. and when we realised that they were singing we were absolutely delighted! It feels really real.

We were in the back seat, curled and holding the camera so it didn't move with all the curves and etc :D :D

Beautiful experience!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

This is very good, I'm looking forward to the feature. The mood and style reminds me of some unique and lesser known Indian filmmakers like Mani Kaul and Kumar Shahani.

Pav

Thanks Pavan!

I will have to check the work of those Indian filmmakers you mentioned! :)

About to shoot my thesis short for my undergrad and I'm glad I came across your experience, it gives me hope!

Hey Takoda! I hope that your short goes well!! and I'm glad my experience gave you a bit of hope!!! :)

Have a lovely day both! :)