Quasar Tube Weirdness on Dimmer

Frank Hegyi

I bought a couple 2ft quasar crossfade tubes. I tried plugging a single tube into a 300W dimmer from home depot that I use for practicals, and the tube acted all crazy. It would dim down for a second then come back up, then flicker, turn off, etc.

I messed around with it for a while and randomly figured out a way to fix it. It acts normal when the tube and a 100w incandescent are both plugged into the same dimmer. Any ideas why this would happen?

I bought a couple 2ft quasar crossfade tubes. I tried plugging a single tube into a 300W dimmer from home depot that I use for practicals, and the tube acted all crazy. It would dim down for a second then come back up, then flicker, turn off, etc.

I messed around with it for a while and randomly figured out a way to fix it. It acts normal when the tube and a 100w incandescent are both plugged into the same dimmer. Any ideas why this would happen?

Same thing happened to me yesterday when I was testing my new 2ft and 4ft tubes that I picked up on Wednesday. according to Barn-door Film and video Lighting store they work with these kinds of dimmers.

Compatible Dimmers
ETC Sensor
Innovative Dimmers
ID: Rat Pac
Strand CD80
Lutron CL
Dimmers that require "Ghost Load**" for loads below 50 watts LED
ETC Smart Module
Elation Cyber Pack
American DJ
Leprecon dimmers