Expired Plus-X shot on Nizo 801 Macro at the NYC film meetup

Samuel Berger

Nick Collingwood just posted this blog entry.

http://www.nickcollingwoodvintage.com/blog/2018/1/23/nyc-film-meetup-with-brooklyn-film-camera-super-8-polaroids

At the bottom is a 2K transfer of some expired Plus-X he shot last fall at the NYC meetup. I'm glad he did this because I have so much expired Plus-X Super 8 to shoot! And I wanted a general idea of what that would look like.

Nick, how much of an overexposure did you use for this? Great shots from that Polaroid, too!

Edited by Samuel Berger

Ha! I was wondering where all this traffic from these forums was coming from. Thanks for sharing! And ya the Polaroids came out great.

I was really pleasantly surprised with the Plus-X film. I got some expired 7278 Tri-X from a friend last year and shot it and while cool, was in pretty rough shape.

giphy.gif

So I was kind of expecting the same since I got this roll of Plus-X off eBay for like $20. Needless to say after viewing, it looked as fresh as can be! Really sharp and nice contrast. And of course a nod to Gamma Ray Digital for their amazing 2k scans and Spectra for the processing.

I shot this roll on autoexposure in my Nizo 801 Macro and just hoped for the best. I believe this was the old Plus-X 50 ASA? But can't remember. So I guess it was keep frozen and stored well enough that there was honestly no degradation in quality compared to fresh Tri-X. Smoother grain in fact.

Anyways, jealous of your stash of Plus-X! I only have about 7 more rolls of that rough Tri-X and about 8 rolls of rough Vision2 500T as far as old expired stocks go. Looking forward to seeing your results!

• Upvote 1

Yikes, that is some rough Tri-X!

Do you think Spectra processes their Plus-X in its own bath, or just batches it with the Tri-X?

I used to get amazing results from Film & Video Services in Minneapolis, but I think it changed owners since 1999. I hadn't been shooting for a few years and when I came back the website was redesigned and unwelcoming. I'm happy they still process film but I'm not sure the quality is still the same because I'm reluctant to try them out.

I think Bono bit the dust, haven't looked it up. And haven't used Yale in a while either. I wanted to process at Cinelab but their minimum cost requirements keep me at bay for the moment. I have about 6 new-in-box Super-8 cameras of varying build quality that need testing over the next year, but due to trying to save money I can't just shoot a bunch of film at the same time.

As far as I know stateside, it's just Yale, Pro8mm, Spectra and CineLab that do Super 8. Anywhere else that claims to ships it to one of these places. There is Niagara Lab just across the border though. Mono No Aware is slowly progressing on setting up a lab in NYC. As far as 16mm, there are tons of labs still. But I always use CineLab as it's the cheapest I believe and fasted for me on the east coast. Plus I have Gamma Ray Digital scan all my stuff which is in the same region. Spectra is good but also they don't include leader/prep which adds some cost.

When I asked Spectra about the Plus-X they said:

We can develop the older PlusX or Foma using our gentle BW chemical formulation. However, you must still pay for developing regardless of results with no image guarantee. We can only guarantee our best effort!

And you've seen the results! So pretty great! Not sure if the rest of the Tri-X will be that rough. I shot another cart this weekend.

For your tests, do what I did and shoot it all on one cartridge. I "slated" each shot with a notepad with the camera and any settings of note like filter and fps and then shot the exact same 15 second scenes more or less with about 5 different cameras. Worked great and could easily compare the different cameras on one reel.

I think CineLab minimums are like 2-3 carts now so nothing insane but Robert would have to confirm that. Apparently a new updated site is in the works but it has been for a while haha.

Edited by Nick Collingwood
  • Upvote 1

Oh ya Dwayne's! I did forget. I've never used them since even IF I luckily have some reversal for processing, I generally have other types like CN and BW as well and sadly they only do CR. But I do want to use them in the future.

I generally wait for around 4-6. So sometimes it can be a couple months. This reel is from October and I just got it processed and scanned at the beginning of this month if that gives you any idea. When I'm shooting more weddings it's easier because I send those out ASAP and just toss in any personal rolls I have at the time. It is a shame that it's all so expensive from minimums and processing and scanning but I've come to accept it. I still try and go as low cost as I can while still getting good quality. But otherwise it means using Pro8mm for single carts and that's even MORE, by far, plus I think GRD scans are more stable.

By the way, in case anyone is googling this stuff, there is NEVER any reason to do business with Pro8mm. A number of labs still exist, for MUCH CHEAPER, and there are other transfer places, MUCH CHEAPER *AND* BETTER, and there are other options for overhauling your camera, MUCH CHEAPER.

So, you're new to the hobby:

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PRO8MM!

By the way, in case anyone is googling this stuff, there is NEVER any reason to do business with Pro8mm. A number of labs still exist, for MUCH CHEAPER, and there are other transfer places, MUCH CHEAPER *AND* BETTER, and there are other options for overhauling your camera, MUCH CHEAPER.

So, you're new to the hobby:

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PRO8MM!

Im new and Googling does come up with Pro8mm....BUT luckily i also found this site and I have asked Nick (who has been a tremendous help) for tips and he has been a great help as well as all the other threads ive been reading. So as a new person to the hobby, i hear you loud and clear =)

Edited by Rolando Morales
  • Upvote 1