Shooting @ Toho Studios

Robin R Probyn

Yes in the Western burbs of Tokyo.. had been there before when it was a bit decrepit but funky.. but all the new studio are very fancy.. but only one tiny toilet for each stage for some reason.. no where to check FB.. :)

I loved those honey comb diff screens they had .. really good for Green screen spill .. hadn't seen the before.. bottom pic is an Arri T24 banged through .. wonderful.. this is studio 3

• Premium Member

I remember a very funny moment at Toho when a stage door next to my stage, opened and Godzilla walked out. The head was peeled back and the guy in the suit lit a cigarette and stood there smoking while still in the rest of the Godzilla costume. It was surreal!!! Hilarious.

G

Haha classic ..early morning the older guys are still "allowed" to smoke in the studio.. !

Brits on this forum will probably know the Jonathan Ross series Japanorama.. there were three series that I shot.. (quite a ride too) for one part ,we had the the guy who had played Godzilla for many years .. and the younger replacement who had done one film.....together we had them stomp on these model buildings ..and of course the classic Japanese situation evolved.. the younger guy showed alot of respect.. which then wore very thin as the older guy.. clearly not happy at being replaced.. criticized the new guys technique unmercifully ..