David Edward Keen

Thanks guys-

My Computer Specs:

Intel core x299 i7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 video card

32 GB RAM

Toshiba 4 Tb Drive 7200 RPM 64 MB

500 GB Western Digital Blue SATA-3 SSD

It is unbelievably frustrating. At 11 am I start editing, and at 11:10 am everything is sluggish and then "Rendering Required Files Not Responding" then "Save Project Not Responding"

There follows FOUR hours trying to figure out what's happening. Talking to Adobe, talking to a computer wizard friend.

Any and every action I take freezes for about 5 seconds, then suddenly----everything's fine. No more problems.

I would celebrate except I know tomorrow it'll be the same. I can't possibly finish this 20 minute film (1080p) inside 5 years at this rate of 4 hours of what the hell for every 10 minutes of work

SO instead of complaining here, let me ask:

If this were a professional level $50 million dollar film say, and you walked into work and this started happening....what would you do?

I know you wouldn't say "oh well, maybe some other time I guess" haha

What would be done, who would be called? Would an editer on such a level know how to figure out whats up?

I need to learn whats up

Edited by David Edward Keen

Not sure if this helps but I was dealing with incredibly long render times and lots of system crashes until one day it occurred to me to feel underneath my laptop and around the back of it.

Sure enough, you could fry an egg on the surface of it.

I took the whole thing apart and all of the thermal paste was nearly gone from the GPU and CPU. I did a thorough cleaning and put Arctic Silver thermal paste onto the heatsinks on both and now it's running perfectly fine. The whole computer operates much quieter and is a lot faster.

Not saying this is the case for you but ya never know. It was unexpected but so was the problem. Sometimes it's hardware and just physics. On the other hand, if all this is happening just because of the update, that's a different thing.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

If this were a professional level $50 million dollar film say, and you walked into work and this started happening....what would you do?

Well, I use to work as an IT person for a 220 employee company with 45 edit bays.

What we did to prevent issues was really simple... don't use new software. We used around 2 year old software all the way around because it was far more reliable than the newer stuff. The company I worked for, spent years developing the workflow and processes they used in the company, so why would you change it?

The moment you keep upgrading, is the moment poop breaks, especially with Adobe. I don't like Premiere at all, I think it's total garbage. However, people hand me drives all the time with Premiere projects, so I'm stuck working with it.

I use Avid 7 for nearly all my work. Why? Because it's ridiculously stable since it's pretty old and had all the important things updated. Is it faster to work with then Premiere? Nope... Premiere and FCPX are faster tools. However, Avid does offer the stability that professional editors like myself, need on a day to day basis. I also run Mac OS because there are less complications with other software then windows, if you're using your bay for anything else BUT editing.

• Upvote 1

While I don't work on Premier Pro much any longer - having switched almost exclusively to Resolve and Fusion studio, I don't recall having any stability or export issues with Premiere on any of their builds - inlcuding the latest, which I used to edit, color and export a commercial just a few weeks ago. I run an AMD Threadripper 32-thread and dual 1080ti system with 64GB ram.

• Upvote 1

Well, I use to work as an IT person for a 220 employee company with 45 edit bays.

What we did to prevent issues was really simple... don't use new software. We used around 2 year old software all the way around because it was far more reliable than the newer stuff. The company I worked for, spent years developing the workflow and processes they used in the company, so why would you change it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tyler thanks, amazing to hear that. Is the DaVinci Resolve 14 FREE version sufficient for editing in your view?

I was thinking I could in any event upgrade RAM to 64 GB.

How is Avid slower than PrPro?

While I don't work on Premier Pro much any longer - having switched almost exclusively to Resolve and Fusion studio, I don't recall having any stability or export issues with Premiere on any of their builds - inlcuding the latest, which I used to edit, color and export a commercial just a few weeks ago. I run an AMD Threadripper 32-thread and dual 1080ti system with 64GB ram.

thanks Landon. I don't money really after the computer upgrades, so Resolve 14 free version is the only option right now, but they do brag about editing, unless that's the other versions.

Personally, the free version of resolve is perfectly fine, and does pretty much what the paid version does. I use the paid version because I want to have the few extra features that come with it, but all the core editing, color, audio, and export features are in the free edition.

With 14.2, Resolve's editing capabilities are now at the point where I can keep an entire project inside Resolve, from edit through delivery. There still might be some issues if you're working with an editing team, though the studio version includes networking-related tools for that reason if you need them. I also no longer need to do much work in ProTools or Audition, and keep most everything in Fairlight, Resolves built-in audio suite.

Resolve really is a great software, and in my opinion, between Resolve and Fusion does pretty much everything Media Encoder, Premiere, After Effects, and Audition could do.

I still subscribe to CC suite because I need Photoshop and InDesign for my book publishing, but for media-work, I don't really touch Adobe much anymore - unless a project is given to me in that format to do something with.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Tyler thanks, amazing to hear that. Is the DaVinci Resolve 14 FREE version sufficient for editing in your view?

I was thinking I could in any event upgrade RAM to 64 GB.

How is Avid slower than PrPro?

Yea, DaVinci works good, but it's not easy to do very basic things. I do a lot of keyframing and simple composites that really take a long time with DaVInci. If you're doing real basic stuff like cuts, it works fine, but the moment you need more then that, DaVInci ain't quite there time wise. It's all doable, but the time you have to put in is horrendous.

The thing I love about Avid in terms of ease of use, is the ability to take ANY effect, make it, drag it to a bin, label it and re-use it. So this speeds up the process of editing so much and it amazes me Premiere doesn't do this, there are too many moves required to copy and paste effects and you can't build a library of specific ones that you use on a regular basis. With Avid you can build a library of compound effects that can be applied at anytime in bins and then simply link those bins to other projects so they open up all the time. It's things like that, which keep me in Avid and not moving away to anything else at the moment.

I do know there are dozens of work-arounds in Premiere, but all of them are 3rd party and require a lot of learning to make work. I just don't have time, I edit all day, every day, it's my life and if I'm not churning out work, I'm not making money. So the time it takes to make a buggy ass piece of software like Premiere, do what I want it to do, seems hardly worth it. DaVinci is no better in my view, it's less buggy, but still not ready to be an editor in my opinion.

Avid has become a joke. While the software might have its merits, I would caution people away from it based on my experience. The first issue is the cost: The free version does absolutely nothing, so why they even bothered is beyond me. The only paid options are $50 a month, or $1,500 for a perpetual license. Neither one is chump change, and the monthly fee is the same as the ENTIRE Adobe CC suite.

However, lets say you pay them for the software, now comes the problem I faced. I have a very powerful computer, beyond what most film editors would have, and it wreaked havoc all across my system. The installer installed no less than 9 separate programs on my computer, 3 of those were 'iLok' server programs that caused major driver compatibility issues with my wireless adapter. The iLok server kept sending so many quick burst of data through my internet connection that it caused the adapter to reset itself every time. Uninstalling that, problem gone. Of course so is access to the program. Upon launching the interface, I was greeted with something that looked along the lines of a love-child between Sony Vegas and early Premiere Pro builds. Needless to say the interface was outdated. But the real issue was performance. Loading in a 2K DNxHR clip resulted in choppy playback with no effects, that both Premiere and Resolve could play back in real time. It's not my computers fault, as every other program I use can play back the same file in real time.

I uninstalled the entire thing, and canceled the subscription, and just ate the $80 I paid to try it for a month. Running it was WAY more trouble than it was worth.

Avid also has the problem that it is bad at multi-tasking. It's basically nothing more than an editor - and for that, it's way overpriced. Resolve gives you an entire post-production suite, so does Adobe - all for the same price or less.

Personally, if you only want an editor, use something like Lightworks.

The only place I can ever see Avid being a good idea is if your primary job is editing work for other people, and you need all the associated features for that, like the ability to interchange with other avid editors. If you edit your own stuff, save yourself the hassle and try other options first. Or don't. Just don't say you weren't warned.

• Premium Member

Avid has become a joke. While the software might have its merits, I would caution people away from it based on my experience. The first issue is the cost

Avid has pretty good educational deals and every year, they have one time licensing programs for $999. For reference, Final Cut Pro was $1299 retail.

Neither one is chump change, and the monthly fee is the same as the ENTIRE Adobe CC suite.

Yes, $49/mo is a lot of money for someone who isn't making money. If you're a professional and need professional tools, not some bullshit that never works like Premiere, then spend less money.

However, lets say you pay them for the software, now comes the problem I faced. I have a very powerful computer, beyond what most film editors would have, and it wreaked havoc all across my system. The installer installed no less than 9 separate programs on my computer, 3 of those were 'iLok' server programs that caused major driver compatibility issues with my wireless adapter. The iLok server kept sending so many quick burst of data through my internet connection that it caused the adapter to reset itself every time. Uninstalling that, problem gone. Of course so is access to the program.

You see why I don't run windows. Avid has two installers for Mac, one is the iLok and one is the program.

Upon launching the interface, I was greeted with something that looked along the lines of a love-child between Sony Vegas and early Premiere Pro builds. Needless to say the interface was outdated. But the real issue was performance. Loading in a 2K DNxHR clip resulted in choppy playback with no effects, that both Premiere and Resolve could play back in real time. It's not my computers fault, as every other program I use can play back the same file in real time.

I run 4k Pro Res XQ files on my Avid (and any program for that matter) no problem. Avid is heavy on the Quicktime interface for AMA linking, so if there is some incompatibility when you link media, it can cause issues.

The interface is more akin to FCP then Premiere. That's because it's not a drag and drop program. It's a keyboard program, this divides the commands between the mouse and the keyboard very evenly. Once you're use to it, going back to dragging and dropping is hard. Avid's method is SUPER accurate.

Avid also has the problem that it is bad at multi-tasking. It's basically nothing more than an editor - and for that, it's way overpriced.

I mean it can DO anything, just because it doesn't edit your project for you or have cool (I think stupid) templates which don't require any effort on the part of the editor, doesn't make it any good.

I think it's WAY easier to use then DaVinci. Please make a composite with 4 different background elements in DaVinci, with the warp tool to corner pin each element and track them. That can be done in a few minutes with Avid, but with DaVinci, it takes a long time. DaVinci is very good at compositing, but it's very SLOW at it as well, it's not a FAST program to use. Avid was designed from the ground up to be very fast for editors, hence the organizational system which is 2nd to none.

Avid (like film) takes SKILL to use, it's not a program you buy, try and if you can't get it in a few weeks, throw it away. It's a program you dedicate yourself to using and don't use anything else. I guess the same goes for DaVinci, which I still don't think is ready for primetime editorial wise. That's mainly because it's still so difficult to do some of the more advanced editorial stuff that most people will want to do in a fast manor. It's the little things that a professional needs, which just don't exist in the other programs. Sure you can edit in them, but without aftermarket tools, it's impossible to get the professional features. This is one of the things about the Mac OS that a lot of people who don't use it every day, have issues with. Ya gotta use it a lot, then you can understand the pro's and con's.

The only place I can ever see Avid being a good idea is if your primary job is editing work for other people, and you need all the associated features for that, like the ability to interchange with other avid editors. If you edit your own stuff, save yourself the hassle and try other options first. Or don't. Just don't say you weren't warned.

Eh, if you wanna be an editor, you need a real editing program and Avid is it. Yes, it's not perfect, yes there are "easier" programs to use, but I own all the main programs and use them all A LOT. There is nothing quite like Avid and I generally default to it unless I'm editing GoPro footage, in which case I'll just use Premiere.

Far be it from me to reign judgement upon Avid. I mean, I told you what my experience with it was, and that is basically it. I never got far enough that I felt like delving into the meat of the system. If you can get it to work, it might well be the god of all editing systems. However, I have never met anything that Premiere couldn't do, or even that Resolve can't do - in terms of editing. Then again, I'm not a fan of fancy editing - I prefer simple cuts and fades, and the razer tool combined with a fade slider works fine for me - in pretty much every program I have ever used. I see no reason for tools beyond those in editing. If you are doing things like compositing, color correcting, etc., those should be done in programs designed for that.

I can't give any real hate to Adobe at all. Their programs have all ran like butter on my computers, and I have never met a job I needed that one of their tools couldn't do... I mostly have switched to Resolve and Fusion now, mainly since Fusion now integrates back and forth with Resolve, and Fusion is a lot more powerful than After Effects. I still find myself using after effects a lot though - the vast plugin collection I have for it does pretty much anything I could ever want. Boris suite, sapphire suite, Film Convert, all the Red Giant products, Hit Film Ignite... Probably close to $5,000 in total plugins.

In terms of 'cheap', Adobe is not 'cheap'. It's the same price as Avid, you just get more for your money.

I'm not saying Avid is not good software, I'm just saying that other programs have caught up with them in pretty much every area. Unless you're doing something special, I see no need for Avid.

PS) I finally gave up Avid ProTools as well, never enjoyed working with it.

• Premium Member

I'm not saying Avid is not good software, I'm just saying that other programs have caught up with them in pretty much every area.

But it's not about catching up with "features", it's about workflow. It's about one button transitions, it's about saving effects, it's about nesting without creating a new sequence, it's about multi-layer real-time audio effects, it's about being able to match timecode automatically between clips, it's about script sync and all that unbelievable metadata.

It's very annoying to use Premiere because it's missing so many of the critical features that I'm so use to having. It's very annoying to use Avid because you can't just drag and drop anything into it. So each program has it's pro's and con's, but the reason so many people have stuck to Avid, is the workflow and like myself, they find it to be far superior.

• Upvote 1