Resolve 14 boot drive size

Juha Mattila

I've got a 5 year old MacBook Air (running El Cap OS) with a 250GB drive & 8GB of memory. I'm able to run the latest (free) version of Resolve and edit just fine. Of course, I'm just doing small projects, not pushing the envelope of features, and do my share of waiting while stuff is happening rather than just having it happen. Your drive size limitation will likely be for storage which will just be a function of the size of your projects. Your SSD will speed things up but you may want an additional, external drive for file storage.

I ran Resolve on a 240GB SSD drive along with my OS and a host of other programs. Keep in mind I never actually stored any project files or on that drive though. In general, it is a good idea to run your media off another drive, but as long as you have enough storage space for the programs and OS, and then extra space for the media - go for it.

Personally, I don't know. I think they are assuming that you are storing your media on the same drive, in which case even 512GB is too small. The installer for Resolve is less than 2GB in size, as is the programs total install size. The one issue you might run unto is media cache / render preview cache though, but I have that going to a separate drive anyway - you just need to set it up in the preferences menu. By default, Resolve will attempt to render temporary cache files to your program drive - which could also be why they say 512 minimum. In your case, just make sure you tell Resolve to render the cache and previews to your other media drive - otherwise it'll eat up your OS/Program drive really quick.

I current operate with a total of 5 internal drives, and a NAS (networked attached storage) system. Those are:

Drive 1: 256GB SSD | Operating System and Program Installation (C:/)

Drive 2: 2TB 7200rpm HDD | Non-media related files, like pictures and documents.

Drive 3: 2TB 7200rpm HDD | Raid 1 with Drive 2 for backup of computer files.

Drive 4: 1TB SSD | Game installation files that need quick boot-up (most often played Steam games)

Drive 5: 2TB 7200rpm HDD | Other game installation files that are not boot-time sensitive, or that I play less often.

I use to have an additional internal 12TB running Raid 5, but last week I upgraded to NAS. That setup is the Synology 8-Bay NAS system, which runs a total of 32TB of storage space, which is running Raid5, which gives me 28TB of NAS attached media storage. That is where I point all my imports and exports for media.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Not a hard requirement. Most of our operating system drives are 128GB SSDs. In the case of our Windows Resolve system, it's a 64GB drive. Since all the data on these machines is stored on RAIDs or shared network storage, the OS drive doesn't need to be big. Just big enough. I'd say 64 is pushing it if you plan to run more than just the OS and Resolve, but 128 should be plenty for most situations since your data won't be on that drive.