Block battery to power LED 1x1?

Hi all - I've got a big block battery which I was hoping to use to power some portable 1x1 LED panels for location shoots with no mains power.

Problem is, the battery has a 3-pin XLR output and the panels I'm looking at have a 4-pin XLR input.

I have 2 queries:

1. Can I use some kind of 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter / cable to connect the battery and the LED panel? I've seen a few around online but not sure if they're suitable for taking battery power (see Dedolight DEA423 3-pin to 4-pin XLR). I'm also a bit wary about pin polarity etc going from 3-pins to 4-pins... Not sure if they will be correctly wired for the 4-pins on my LED?

2. Am I OK hooking up a battery of this size and power to a 1x1 LED? Forgive me, I'm not very savvy with electrical current - hoping perhaps a Gaffer or Spark may be able to shed some knowledge here! My current assumption is that the LED panel will only draw as much voltage and current as it needs from the battery and won't be at risk of being overloaded. Is this right?

The kit in question:

• Battery: Dynacore DHB-30 block battery - Voltage: 26V - Capacity: 30Ah / 780Wh - Max output current: 30A
  • LED 1x1: Lupo Superpanel (dual colour) - Battery operation: 14.8V to 24V - Consumption: 110W

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edited by James McLauchlan

• Premium Member

Thanks Phil - should I be looking for a 24V to 14.8V converter? Not sure if a solution exists that also goes from 3-pin to 4-pin XLR...

if not readily found it can be built very easily... the Chinese have all kinds of adjustable voltage regulators flooding the eBay, very affordable... you would just need to add a suitable housing and xlr connectors (and add Chinese voltmeters etc to it if you want ;) )