Cleaning A7s ii sensor

Mario Bosanac

Hello all,

So my friend owns an Sony A7s ii and it has an issue. As you can see from the videos and pictures it seems that there seems to be lint/dust on the sensor. What would be the best way to clean that out manually. I have camera cleaning gear of my own.

I've posted a dropbox shareable link because they're too big if files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m3z230zcdhos5fp/AADv5uaVWnCQyEm6hbzSdfwxa?dl=0

Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Do you mean behind the OLPF.. which is infront of the actual sensor.. ?.. but very unlikely dust would get in there.. unless it was from new or has been taken out before in a non dust free room.. end of the day.. if its not a simple clean take it in.. you will end up doing more damage and could brick the whole camera..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If you've tried cleaning the cover glass with more than just a blower (I use swabs with alcohol myself) and find the smudge is indeed underneath, I would recommend sending the camera to a professional repair centre or back to the manufacturer.

• Upvote 1

If you've tried cleaning the cover glass with more than just a blower (I use swabs with alcohol myself) and find the smudge is indeed underneath, I would recommend sending the camera to a professional repair centre or back to the manufacturer.

I think you've just saved me some money. I was using Eclipse fluid from a kit but when it runs out I've got a couple of pints of isoprop. Thanks.

Folks, if Dom uses it, it's OK.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark! I hope you spend your saved money wisely. ;)

I find 9 times out of 10 isopropyl alcohol cleans a sensor cover glass just fine, but occasionally you need something with a little more bite to get a stubborn speck off, which is when I will use a cleaning fluid like Eclipse or Pancro. A loupe helps to inspect the surface to see if you've cleaned it properly.