Weird ghosting on footage

Hello,

I was hoping to get some thoughts on a strange affect on some footage I recently got back.

During most parts of the 100ft there is a ghosting or double exposure affect, initially I thought it was just the bright parts of the image, but it seems throughout to be the same, and it fluctuates a little.

The stock is 7293, hand processed and pro scanned. I had the same stock processed that I had used in 2 other cameras that same day, and that came back fine.

One person I already asked suggested lens but was not entirely sure.

Anyone see this before?

• Premium Member

You can check the shutter timing easily enough by marking the film and watching through the lens port as you inch the camera over. If the timing is out you will see the film move before or after the shutter covers the gate aperture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yes that streaking is a classic example of the shutter being out of phase, and the film being exposed as it is transported.

I wasn't sure about the OP footage being the same fault because it looks more like a double exposure than a streak, but we haven't heard back from Gareth about whether his camera shutter timing is out or not.

On a Bolex, you need to remove the front and reset the gear meshing to get the shutter timing right.

• Premium Member

You can do it on a Filmo 70 DR by not pushing the pressure plate against the gate after you load the film.

If the pressure plate isn't pressing against the film it can move with the loop during the exposure phase, which creates a similar effect to an out of sync shutter, although not as consistent. You'd have to completely remove the pressure plate on a Bolex, rather than leave it open, since you can't close the door on a Bolex if the pressure plate is fitted but not pushed all the way into the gate.

If the pressure plate isn't pressing against the film it can move with the loop during the exposure phase, which creates a similar effect to an out of sync shutter, although not as consistent. You'd have to completely remove the pressure plate on a Bolex, rather than leave it open, since you can't close the door on a Bolex if the pressure plate is fitted but not pushed all the way into the gate.

Here's an example of that:

Edit: That's not my test, just something I found a while back when researching the Filmo.

Edited by Samuel Berger