Sony Movie Studio is not using all footage from project file

Patrick Cooper

I have a pc which really struggles to render long duration videos. Actually, it's pretty much impossible for it to render any HD video that's over 8 minutes (that contains lots of 'events' and transitions.) I'm currently working on a 20 minute wedding video and I know there's no way that this pc could render it so the plan is to edit it on the pc and render it on a relative's laptop (which has the same version of Sony Movie Studio installed.)

So just recently, I took the project file from the pc to the laptop via external hdd and opened it up. I had all the contents for the video saved within the same folder yet annoyingly, the program kept asking me to specify the location of individual video files (and there were a lot of them.) I also had some transferred super 8 footage which the program had a lot of trouble locating (even though it was stored in the same folder with all the other content for the project.) Sony Movie Studio requested to do a search to look for the files (that contained the super 8 footage.) By the way, my brother (and his then-fiancee) specifically requested that I use super 8 film for the wedding and even payed for the film stock, processing and transfer. Eventually, the program located the elusive files after searching for them and I clicked on the file names and then clicked on something like 'OK' or something similar (I can't recall exactly.) I then went ahead and rendered the video which took some time.

On the same weekend, I had the family over (including my brother and his wife) and we decided to play the wedding video on the TV. Everything went well until the segment came up that contained the super 8 footage. Every time a super 8 shot was supposed to come on, I got a black picture on the TV. In other words, about less than a quarter of the wedding video was missing. I stopped the video soon after the first three black shots appeared and apologised to my family. Clearly, Sony Movie Studio on the laptop is at fault. It is not adding all the content from the project file, despite me confirming it's location. Would anyone know of a solution to this?

I did some experimenting and found out that Sony Movie Studio cannot open these MOV files (containing the super 8 footage) on the laptop. These MOV files supposedly contain the Pro Res codec. A message comes up saying that Quicktime Components were not properly installed. There is a link provided which leads to a website (could have been Apple but I can't recall) where I could download the Quicktime Components. I did download the items multiple times but I still cannot open the MOV files within Movie Studio on this laptop. Each time I download the Quicktime item from that website, I get an error message near the end of the installation process, something about memory referencing