Green screen color match

• Premium Member

it should be no problem if the different colour screens are completely separate areas from the fabric screen.

it may complicate keying a little bit if you for example stitch a larger fabric screen from multiple different tone parts so that the colour varies considerably within the screen.

if the screens are completely separate (for example one behind the model spaceship and another screen on the window of the ship pointing towards camera) then it will be no problem because you can just mask the smaller screen and key it separately.

you may want to do this anyway because of the lighting conditions so should be no problem at all... technically they would not even need to be the same colour if they are completely separately keyed. you could for example use blue for windows and green for background if needed

Curious thing now: The shot is in a spaceship. Which is to say, in my Dad's Toyota. Out of the front windshield is a green screen where it will be stars.

Inside the set there's a prop with a screen, the screen is green screen paper.

I need a different image on that prop than is out the window, but both green screens are in the frame so they seem to both have the stars. Is there a way to treat the two greenscreens separately?

Curious thing now: The shot is in a spaceship. Which is to say, in my Dad's Toyota. Out of the front windshield is a green screen where it will be stars.

Inside the set there's a prop with a screen, the screen is green screen paper.

I need a different image on that prop than is out the window, but both green screens are in the frame so they seem to both have the stars. Is there a way to treat the two greenscreens separately?

Do you have previous experience with composition? Green screen work is hard to pull off effectively unless you have practice with proper compositing techniques. Trying to explain it through text is rather hard, and how you need to approach the scene would depend on the setup of the scene itself. What software are you using?

The BEST software for compositing on a budget is Blackmagic's Fusion, which is free - and very powerful.

Based on your description:

If the prop inside is meant to be a screen that displays something, you might not even need to greenscreen it. The correct way I'd handle it is to corner pin the 'replacement' over the green, tracking it through a program like Mocha. In fact, I probably wouldn't use green - I'd use matte black with 4 tracking markers in each corner.

But yes, you certainly can treat multiple green screens differently in the same scene - mostly through separate masks.

Edited by Landon D. Parks
  • Upvote 1