Opinions on the B&M Keg Fresnels?

Max Field

• Premium Member

That can be OK, though.

The only serious problem I've found with theatrical stuff is that it tends to click and creak when warming up and cooling down, which can be a bit of an issue. Some of the Strand profiles (er, ellipsoidals, America) do this quite badly. Otherwise, fine.

P

• Premium Member

That can be OK, though.

The only serious problem I've found with theatrical stuff is that it tends to click and creak when warming up and cooling down, which can be a bit of an issue. Some of the Strand profiles (er, ellipsoidals, America) do this quite badly. Otherwise, fine.

P

additionally they can be a lot larger and heavier than similar wattage "real" cine lights (no need to manufacture compact and lightweight units for semi-fixed installation truss/grid use). and usually they are not weather protected at all, being like IP zero or something :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Arri True Blue T1: 6Kg, £600

Showtec Stage Beam Mk2 650/1000: 4.78Kg, £100
Now, I'm not for a second questioning that the T1 is better made. I am gently questioning how much it matters. This is not advanced technology. There is a limit to the degree to which buffing a design actually makes a difference to the results. The Arri is only IP23 which barely means "weatherproof;" I would not leave one out in the rain and most people don't seem confident to do so.
Yes, I am aware of the politics. I am a rationalist, not a politician.

I actually have a 2K just like the one you posted a picture of. I got it for free from the TV station I work at. It was laying around in the back of the studio, unused for years, so our engineer didn't mind just giving it to me. I thought I'd clean it up but have yet to do so, and it doesn't have a bulb in it so I can't test it. Honestly I've been thinking about getting rid of it ever since I learned that there is asbestos in it.

Asbestos by itself isn't really a danger- the problem is when you cut it, grind it or break up something with asbestos in it and the tiny particles come airborne.

Workers in the industries that were around these processes all day long for years are the people that suffered.

Your vinyl flooring that contains asbestos is perfectly fine until you go and try to rip it up to install new flooring.

You can remove all of the wiring in old fixtures without fear that you'll die from asbestos by simply following simple safety rules of wearing a mask and bagging all of the old wiring. The big deal on that though is..where do you dispose of the asbestos material now ?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I know persons who have got cancer from relatively short exposure to asbestos... Working couple of weeks in the past installing asbestos containing materials on construction sites and similar type of stuff. One may not develop anything from exposure but you never know, one of those 1/10000mm airborne fibers may end up in the wrong place and in 20 or 30 years you may have lung cancer.

The main problem with self made asbestos removal would be cleaning up the worksite after the job. Those tiny fibers will spread everywhere and you will have to clean the fixture too. I think it would be just too difficult to do this safely diy without contaminating your home or garage or alternatively spending too much resources for preparations and cleanup.

...i think the asbestos bulb bases and such may emit the micro fibers even when installed and left undisturbed. The ones i have seen had just pure asbestos surface exposed, nothing like sealing it inside the plate like in floor tiles.

Maybe letting a pro asbestos worker remove the bulb base and other asbestos materials and let them clean it up so that you will get a clean lamp ready for the ceramic base installation?

My father knew guys that worked their entire lives at Johns Manville where they processed Asbestos into building materials every day, many died of natural causes. Asbestos almost seems to be a sensitivity issue for some people.

There are "relatively" safe ways to remove the limited amount of Asbestos in old fixtures. I've been shown by a "professional". I won't mention these techniques here, same as I wouldn't instruct anyone on performing a tie-in.