Canon 514 XL-S - Stopped Working

Kevin Walls

Hey folks,

I've been shooting on my Canon 514 XL-S for about a year or so now and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm also very new to using film cameras, so I am a bit clueless.

I was in the middle of shooting today and the camera stopped working out of the blue. At first I thought it was the batteries but, when I tested them, they were still full of energy. The contacts on the camera were clean and free of corrosion but I was getting nothing out of the camera.

I had a small digital camera mounted to the top of the 514, so I have a sound recording of the moment the camera stopped working.

https://soundcloud.com/kevinwalls/super-8-canon-514-xl-s

Does anyone know what could have happened?

Thanks!

EDIT: When I turn the switch to the 'R' position I can hear a faint high pitched whining coming from the camera.

Edited by Kevin Walls

It might be the cartridge is jammed. A somewhat common occurrence with negative stock. Try taking it out and putting it back in again. That works for me. Be sure to take note of the film counter, as it will reset once you take out the cart. Beyond that, the belts, if any or gears may be jammed. The easiest and cheapest fix is to purchase another camera.

No, its not working without the cartridge either.

The cue light comes on, and stays on, when I turn the switch to the R position. Also, the battery light isnt coming on when I press the battery check button. However the batteries are brand new and are successfully powering my small led light panel.

• Premium Member

Change the batteries, the motor will require more power than the LED cue lamp. Only issue ever experienced with a 514xl-s is the battery compartment to camera contacts, never had a motor failure, so change them batteries, are they Duracell's?

My considered opinion is that if it went ping mid-shot, and it's been working fine hitherto, then it's chuffed. You mention a whine so perhaps it's something mechanical. You may need the hands of a surgeon to fix it, but I would certainly have a look. I'm sure there are some resources out there.

• Premium Member

Just listened to the sound bite, don't like the sound of the camera, try inserting the batteries and wave the camera around, turn the camera upside down, see if the hand grip to camera body is making poor contact, wiggle the handgrip around, operate the camera with the hand grip folded down and up next to the camera body. If that doesn't work, look for another camera.