F65

Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

They've been going for that price (and even cheaper for used models) for a while now. It's one hell of a camera, but it's just too complicated workflow/size wise for most people to consider.

I was sorely tempted by one when I made my last camera purchase, the image quality and feature set are superb. But I went with the Alexa Studio instead (and am glad that I did), it's an equally big beast, but the workflow is much more manageable.

They've been going for that price (and even cheaper for used models) for a while now. It's one hell of a camera, but it's just too complicated workflow/size wise for most people to consider.

I was sorely tempted by one when I made my last camera purchase, the image quality and feature set are superb. But I went with the Alexa Studio instead (and am glad that I did), it's an equally big beast, but the workflow is much more manageable.

Yes true.. there is a reason they are so cheap I guess.. just seemed incredibly cheap.. and presumably a demo has alot less hours on it than a rental thats seen heavy action.. and Sony say they will still be making them even after the Venice ships..this I really cant believe.. servicing and parts maybe .. but new ones.. well Sony not really famous for telling the truth ..:)

• Premium Member

I've wanted to use one since they were released.

Such a pity that they are not a very popular rental camera either in Ireland or Spain.

The Alexa Mini is around €500 / day.. the F65 is around €700 / €800 / day! nonsense!

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

I never realized that Sony built a camera with a mechanical shutter and optical viewfinder. Besides Arri, are there others?

The F65 has a mechanical shutter, but not an optical viewfinder. The Alexa Studio and the earlier D20/D21 are the only digital cameras I know of with a proper spinning mirror.

For me, it was shooting on film again (for the first time in almost eight years!) a little over a year ago, that triggered me on to how much I prefer to use an optical viewfinder (the immediacy of looking directly through the lens is well worth the flickering IMO). That put me on to testing the Alexa Studio for a feature (that sadly didn't go ahead), but then when the time was right to grab a German for myself, it was the Studio I wanted.

It's certainly more money, but well worth it for the global shutter and the optical viewfinder I reckon.

One thing that makes me sad about the Alexa LF, is that the shorter flange distance makes it impossible to fit a mirror shutter inside, that likely means the current Alexa Studio is the last camera with an optical viewfinder that we'll see. :(

Which is sad because I'm really not a big fan of the Alexa's EVF (or Sony's, or Red's). I think electronic viewfinders have a ways to come in terms of resolution, user interface and latency before they'll make a better option than optical.

• Premium Member

Hi Mark

Sony have a new EVF for the Venice.. and it can also work on the F5/55.. Ive only had a play at a trade show.. but its much improved from the older OLED they had.. have a look if you can.. I really want one but they are pretty pricey..!

I'll be interested to have a look, I've heard it's brighter and the resolution is higher, and that's great. Sony also (sensibly) allow you to use transparency masks for framelines (which is ESSENTIAL for any viewfinder or monitor IMO).

I hope they've fleshed it out fully (especially for that price!). However, I highly doubt they'll have implemented the kinds of monitoring features that every monitoring tool should offer in 2018 - detailed 10+ step false colour; a clear, easily readable waveform, full 3D LUT capability (ideally the kind that doesn't require digging through camera menus to activate); 1:1 pixel zoom (and a clear indicator for when you're in 1:1 mode, so that you don't accidentally think that's your frame!); good focus peaking (Sony are the best in the world at this, so I expect their new EVF will do well for peaking); display space outside of the camera image for all information/waveforms etc. so that nothing covers up your view of your frame; and the afore-mentioned transparency masks for frame line purposes.

Zacuto have come very close to an ideal setup with their Gratical Eye, but it still has some significant issues, which I hope other manufacturers will both learn from and emulate. Because a good viewfinder is a camera operator's most important tool when operating.

• Premium Member

Ah! Well we don't have many of those either! I've asked in Melbourne and received a 'who even are you?' look. And just last week I checked in with Panavision Prague while I was over there scouting, and when I asked if we could possibly get a few DXL2s for the shoot, I saw the most delightfully polite look of 'That's not physically possible' spread across the face of Vaclav the rental manager ?

• Premium Member

Ah! Well we don't have many of those either! I've asked in Melbourne and received a 'who even are you?' look.

I'll make sure whoever gave you that look never works in this town again.. ;)

Try again, I'll vouch for you Mark. We'd love someone to ask for a DXL, haven't had one in the country yet. DXL2 might be pushing it at this point, we're only a colonial outpost of the Empire after all..

• Premium Member

I'll make sure whoever gave you that look never works in this town again.. ;)

Try again, I'll vouch for you Mark. We'd love someone to ask for a DXL, haven't had one in the country yet. DXL2 might be pushing it at this point, we're only a colonial outpost of the Empire after all..

Thanks Dom, that's why you're my favourite! :D

• Premium Member

The old Sammy's out at North Sydney .. used to be full of 35mm Panavisions.. what happened ..

People stopped renting them, mostly.

They also stopped being "Sammys" back in 1997 as I recall.

About 10(?) years ago, after Ron Perelman bought Deluxe, PV were moved to the Atlab/Deluxe building in Mowbray Road in Lane Cove. That made sense financially, except that shortly after that the banks seized Panavision and Perelman relinquished all equity, so PV had barely moved in when they were no longer "part of the family". At some point Deluxe then moved to North Ryde and Arri Rentals of all people moved in.

Ironically, most of the digital "35mm" cameras PV now rent out are either Arris, or Reds!

I haven't been there for well over 10 years. I keep meaning to go to John Barry's (if they still exist) for some green chromakey paint, while I still can.

Kansas was better. It was real and good value. It was real estate. This pixelated rabbit hole full of queens and cats is too .... um, I guess you'd have to say digitised if you know what I mean .... (this is Jon writing this, who is a man).