How do I remove this C-mount adapter?

Samuel Berger

I bought this old Filmo 70-DL specifically for the lenses, which are in good condition. But to use the zoom on my 70-DR I need to unscrew this thing somehow.

I tried a coin to twist out the adapter but since it didn't unscrew, I don't want to use too much force in case that's not it at all.

post-10433-0-66308200-1518840706_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Look for a set screw somewhere around the turret disk. If you don’t see any, simply unscrew the adapter. Might need a leather glove and some force, the turret disk is steel, can be a little rusty. Else you better take off the turret disk after undoing the central hex nut. Do that in a transparent plastic bag to catch the three click rollers under the disk.

Interesting the additional bores for a look through the critical focuser while lens is in taking position

Is this the set screw you mean?

filmo13.jpg

It's an interesting camera, I don't know what the knobs on the shutter release button are meant to do. It's also quite clean but it has a damaged spring. I can feel the camera go over a bump at the end of the full run cycle.

filmo14.jpg

You use this tool / wrench.. ( Angenieux supplied tool with each lens usually with a finder)

s-l1600-8.jpg

Hi Charlie, thanks for the tip. Are there alternatives to this tool? I know I can't just find this one at Home Depot. The other issue is that the adapter seems screwed in VERY tight...I'm beginning to wonder if someone used Loc-Tite or superglue to keep it in place.

Do you know what the thickness of the tool is? I might have to buy a chisel or something like that.

That would be a face spanner and a chisel or pin pinch would be a hack move and damage the locking ring. Find a piece of flat bar that will fit in the slots, cut and file the end to the correct width, turn with a adjustable wrench for leverage.

That would be a face spanner and a chisel or pin pinch would be a hack move and damage the locking ring. Find a piece of flat bar that will fit in the slots, cut and file the end to the correct width, turn with a adjustable wrench for leverage.

I tried using a quarter, the coin got torn apart. The fit was perfect, though. I just need a harder piece of metal. Flat bar sounds right.

Was it common to glue the thing into the camera?

No reason to glue it, but those things can appear very tight until they give. Just make sure you're prepared for when it lets go. Have it positioned away from the gate and maybe wear a cotton glove so you keep as much of your skin as possible.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I need to stop trying, the notches are beginning to get stripped. I can't believe I might have to send it to Bernie just to get this thing unscrewed. I only bought the camera for the zoom and now the adapter is stuck....grrr...

Tempted to slow-cook the whole thing in FrogLube to see if it works.

• Premium Member

The turret disk is made from steel, can be rusty. Try to trickle sewing machine oil down the thread, if you can come to it. You can set a sharp chisel on the ring or a pin drive in the grooves and give it dry taps with a hammer, counterclockwise. The ring will be damaged but it often works. Admittedly a mechanic job but, hey, there may be such talent in you.

• Premium Member

It could well be loctited in if someone got annoyed with a stiff lens that unscrewed the adapter as they focused. Hopefully they werent complete idiots and used superglue. It might be worth undoing the turret plate to check if there isnt a securing screw at the back.

Step 1: make a tool that fits exactly. The longer the turning handle the more force you can apply

Step 2: soak the threads in an anti-sieze product like 2-26

Step 3: use a heat gun (or hairdryer) to heat up the part

Step 4: have the thing held securely with a clamp or another pair of hands while you use the tool

Step 5: remove any young children in case of ensuing obscene language

• Like 1

Well the turret plate came out. No progress on removing the adapter. I've added Zoom Spout oil around the thread, hopefully it will be absorbed through capillary action. I'm currently heating up the disc.

If the cameras were the same, all I'd need to do would be swap plates. But the donor is a DL and the recipient is a DR.

This is where I'm at now. Pics:

filmo15.jpg
filmo16.jpg

I'm thinking of using a Dremel to grind away the turret plate and leaving the C-mount adapter intact. I'd really rather not but I have to be realistic.

It doesn't really seem to be Loc-Tite in there, more like gummed up gunk. Would it cause harm to try some acetone?

I don't really have a machine shop so even though I like Dom's suggestion, I can't make my own tool.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Did you ever get this c mount nut removed?

If not, take it to a really good bike shop, tell them it's valuable and not to mess up any of the parts. You could also try heating the turret plate with a torch and applying ice to the brass ring. Just a little heat, enough to burn you if you touched the plate bare handed. The colder you can get that brass ring, the better.

Phil Forrest