Bell & Howell 70 DR

Steven Budden

Do use switars on a 70 DR, can one usually just use the finders supplied with another lens of equivalent focal lengths? Also, when using a switar RX, will the focus be off or will the readings on the barrel just be wrong?

Thanks!

Steven

Guest Michael Carter

Switars from my H16 Delux (non RX) had extra long back parts that screwed in too far on C mount cameras. The back of the lens would rub on the shutter! They could not be used on any camera except the one they were made for, namely the Bolex H16 Delux.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where I could send my B&H 70DR for repairs?

A few years ago I ignorantly ran it dry at 48fps, and ruined it. I don't plan on fixing it myself, as I understand it could be fatal or cause limb loss...so yeah, that's out.

Just, if you know a repair house that can do it, please point me in their direction.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I could send my B&H 70DR for repairs?

A few years ago I ignorantly ran it dry at 48fps, and ruined it. I don't plan on fixing it myself, as I understand it could be fatal or cause limb loss...so yeah, that's out.

Just, if you know a repair house that can do it, please point me in their direction.

Thanks!

UT Photo in Sun Valley, CA has a B&H Guru on staff. 818 767-3355 or utphoto.com

• Premium Member

....I own and operate a DR Filmo.

I have used the following lenses on it with fine results:

Angeniuex 5.9mm, 10mm, 75mm, 25mm, 17 - 68 zoom with reflex viewfinder.

I have been told the wide RX lenses have to be collimated for Filmo, but the longer RX lenses 75 and up should focus on Filmo. This is what a camera tech told me, but this is unconfirmed information.

ICE-MTE in Florida also works on Filmos. That is where I bought mine.

hope this helps,

Steve

...I have been told the wide RX lenses have to be collimated for Filmo...

The RX lenses have a special formula to correct for the glass prism on a Bolex Reflex. On a camera without one, the lens will exhibit either spherical aberration or color dispersion (according to whomever you believe) and this can not be corrected by collimation.