It's time to buy my daughter her own SLR. A1? AE-1? Or AE-1 Program?

Samuel Berger

It's time to buy my daughter her first SLR. My first one was a Zenit XP12, strangely made in Brazil instead of the USSR like most. The thing was a tank. I forgot it in the overhead compartment of a Pan Am flight to Chicago back in the day. I was never able to find another exactly like it so I moved on to the Canon A1, which was already surpassed by the AE-1 at the time.

What I use now is a Fujica ST-705 but I do think I want to buy her a Canon.

I thought of getting the AE-1 Program, is there a reason to avoid it? Like the electronics probably not working anymore, etc.. Or should I choose an A1 or AE-1 (not Program)?

I might replace my own Fujica with a Minolta SRT101 in the process. There's something to be said about the Rokkor 50 f/1.2

I've had a bunch of AE-1's over the years and love them.

One had a slight light leak which gave some shots a cool look, but in the most part they've been flawless.

FD lenses are easy to come by too, some like the 50mm are so good.

The cheaper ones are plastic POS, but at least they're more recent POS, so less likely to have worn-out bits.

Although the A1 is beautiful. I'd never sell mine, I don't think, even though it's been in a cupboard for 15 years now. Still in perfect working order, I hasten to add. I handle it and exercise the shutter now and again.

Edited by Mark Dunn

The cheaper ones are plastic POS, but at least they're more recent POS, so less likely to have worn-out bits.
Although the A1 is beautiful. I'd never sell mine, I don't think, even though it's been in a cupboard for 15 years now. Still in perfect working order, I hasten to add. I handle it and exercise the shutter now and again.

Hi Mark, I was hoping you would chime in. I'm very likely to get the A1. In the end I think only the light seals would need replacing. I actually own mine still but it's been in my parents home for the last 20 years or so and I won't give it up either.

I don't think it's a bad suggestion, especially since they seem to take EF glass, but they're not from my time so I'm not as familiar with them.

They're moronically easy to use. Winds the film automatically, and yes, EF glass makes them very compatible with modern accessories.

Hi Mark, I was hoping you would chime in. I'm very likely to get the A1. In the end I think only the light seals would need replacing. I actually own mine still but it's been in my parents home for the last 20 years or so and I won't give it up either.

Presumably you know about the shutter squeal. Ebay sellers are often careful to tell you if theirs doesn't have it. I think it's supposed to signify incipient failure but there is a fix.

Mine does but I'm not sure that it wasn't always there. But then I only put a couple of thousand exposures on it. One didn't blast away like a madman in those days. Not even at 15p a shot for a colour slide.

You've encouraged me to get mine out for a quick feel. Aah.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Honestly I'd look for a used Nikon FM of FM10. Super simple to use, the lenses are cheap, fully manual (you have to think about it!) and the lenses can be easily and cheaply adapted to EF for use on so equipped cameras. Plus the shutter sounds sexier. I don't think any Nikon i've ever owned has ever let me down or malfunctioned.

I've just pulled my old Minolta XD-7 out of the attic. Currently non operational sadly. I'd second the suggestion of the EOS 35mm cameras. I have a couple of EOS Elan 7e bodies which I got on eBay for around $30 each. One of them came with a kit zoom, a camera bag and 5 rolls of film! I don't shoot with them a lot, but they have been reliable for the 5 years I've owned them.

You could do worse than a Nikon F3. It has the old-fashioned quality you seem to want, but doesn't necessarily have to be old. That camera was produced for 20+ years and was still available new in this century. Built like a tank, manual focus, but it does have aperture-preferred auto exposure if you like. You do have to advance the film manually, but the massive heavy motor drive is cool and not hard to find. The big clunky body would be a stand-out these days.