I need some help grading this .DPX from a 500T scan

Samuel Berger

I've just received some 4K scanned Super 8 film from Cinelab. I don't know how to make it look normal, it's a flat scan. Can anyone with Resolve give me a hint?

Here's a sample DPX:

http://www.classichenshin.com/bmpcc/sample.dpx

I thought it would be as easy as opening it up and throwing a LUT. Well there aren't any LUTs for actual film in the menu....

Thanks Phil, that is how I'd like it to look. I've been trying for hours but I'm probably going to give it a rest. I use DaVinci Resolve without knowing how to use it.

I shot that on a Canon 814XL-S and it was a pain to focus in low light.

Is there a way to apply that curves file on Resolve?

• Premium Member

No idea. I've attached it, anyway - though I had to rename it to .txt because the forum won't let me upload .amp files.

(It's a mnemonic for "arbitrary map.")

I have a tool somewhere that'll render various LUT formats from .amp files, I can look it out if it's any good to you, but really it's not complex. It's just that gamma curve to somewhat normalise the contrast, and I sampled the white stripe on the camera-left side of the frontmost girl's jacket to take the blue cast out. That's why the RGB curves aren't completely linear, but it's very minor.

P

super8.txt

I've just received some 4K scanned Super 8 film from Cinelab. I don't know how to make it look normal, it's a flat scan. Can anyone with Resolve give me a hint?

Here's a sample DPX:

http://www.classichenshin.com/bmpcc/sample.dpx

I thought it would be as easy as opening it up and throwing a LUT. Well there aren't any LUTs for actual film in the menu....

Actually, there are both curves and film emulation LUTs in Resolve. You can start with the film emulation LUT, something like "Kodak 2383 - REC709" and it will emulate a film print. The curve is built into the LUT. I think you're going to need to read that big Resolve manual :)