Alexa SXT with anamorphic lenses. Which mode to use?

Simon Sturzenegger

Hi all,

I am preparing a feature film production where we will use the Alexa SXT and anamorphic lenses.

To be cost-efficient, we were thinking about using the 6:5 Mode (ProRes 2K Anamorphic) which does not take too much storage space and which sounds like a nice solution.

But as we also have some VFX shots in the movie, the question arises whether it might be good to use another mode for the VFX shots.

Would 4:3 ProRes 2.8K be a better solution? I kind of doubt it, that it helps a lot. If I understand it correctly, we would have some more "flesh" on the left and right, but would be using the same height?

Or should ARRIRAW considered for the VFX shots? If yes, which mode should be used with ARRIRAW?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best

Simon

• Premium Member

Or better yet, your vfx supervisor. They'll know the specific path they want to take for the vfx pipeline (generally, they want to convert everything to .dpx anyway).

For vfx work, I always start by finding out what will work best for the actual workflow they intend to use, and work backwards from there. Sometimes, that means shooting raw, but often it doesn't.

Just ask them, they'll know what they want.