Bolex Aspheron rental

I'm trying to track down a Bolex Aspheron to rent rather than buy in the UK, any advice on an individual or rental house that might have one?

Regarding the thread on the front of the 10mm, will I be able to mount the Aspheron onto my model (image attached) or does it need to be the later macro model?

post-74361-0-25423600-1519916425_thumb.jpg

You may find some other w/a adapter may be suitable, if not purpose-designed and of similar quality.

Before digital cameras had w/a zooms there were plenty of them available- I used one before I had a DSLR.

Edited by Mark Dunn

The Bolex super-8 Aspheron lens also works with your 10mm Switar lens for 16mm use. I'm not sure about super-16 but it covers OK for ultra-16 and regular-16.

I've got one here

https://filmisfine.com/shop/movie-accessories/bolex-aspheron-lens/

You'd have to focus your lens at about 6 inches or so to get good focus. And find some kind of adaptor for the front of the Switar to go up to 55mm thread.

I've been using one for years and it gives sharp results, nearly but not quite as wide as the Bolex 16mm Aspheron. It's probably about 7mm equivalent. (for S.8 it's 4mm).

Edited by Doug Palmer

Thanks very much Doug, I've the regular 16mm RX5. I'll have a search for an adapter and make a purchase asap, did you use a single adapter ring and if so where did you find it? Is there any vignetting at the top/bottom of frame?

Also thanks Mark, I'll have a search for some alternate backups just in case.

The Aspheron lens I use is slightly different model, with a 58mm rear thread. I use it with the macro Switar RX lens and I had an adaptor ring made that screws onto its filter thread. With your 10mm non-macro lens (which I also have) it may be easier to make a collar fitting onto the outside, and on the outer diameter Araldite a 55mm filter ring. The main thing is to bring the 10mm lens as close as possible to the Aspheron lens. I just held it in front to check vignetting but couldn't see any problem in the reflex viewfinder (which is set for ultra-16). I'll try and recheck to see if anything happens with regular-16 below.

Edited by Doug Palmer

Paul, a problem I'm afraid. I tried the 10mm non-macro RX lens again on a Bolex EBM regular-16 camera, plus the Aspheron in front. There was no vignetting visible. However, when focused for fairly near distances like across the room for example, the closest focus on the lens was not sufficient for sharpness. I was using max aperture of f1.6. When I unscrewed the lens slightly the image got sharp. So it looks like a shim behind the lens would be necessary for these sorts of distances. And maybe at longer distances too, as your lens could be callibrated differently from mine. With the macro 10mm lens of course there's not this problem.

So the non-macro lens plus Aspheron isn't an ideal combination, especially if doing close-ups.

Edited by Doug Palmer

Dark evenings not conducive to lens testing B)

This morning sunny and nice out there. I tried the 10mm non-macro lens with a shim behind and the aspheron in front.... the focus looks good from infinity down to about 3 feet. That's at f1.6. However, all lenses are a bit different so you may find a thicker shim or even a washer is necessary.

The previous posts misleading, I'm sorry. In the past I've always used a macro 10mm lens with the aspheron.

Edited by Doug Palmer