Alexa power draw values whilst in standby mode

James Malamatinas

I'm looking to find out what the power draw is on the various Alexa models when in standby mode (with only the EVF attached), or at least a close approximation. I found one post on the Arri forum that gave the values whilst at speed as below. I'm trying to determine how this compares to when the cameras are idle. I've checked each of the manuals but with no luck but I could have missed something as my electrical power knowledge isn't best in class!

Dear Jim,

of course we have taken measurements...

@24fps with MVF-1: 50W
@24fps w/o MVF-1: 45W

@50fps with MVF-1: 55W
@100fps with MVF-1: 60W
@200fps with MVF-1: 75W

Please keep in mind these have been taken under lab-conditions. In extreme weathers the power-draw will be higher.

Best,
Jan

Thanks.

Thanks Dom, I assumed that recording would have some kind of significant impact but interesting to find that it doesn't. In case anyone else wanders across this page I also found this on one of the Arri Pocket Guide pages:

Values stated here apply to typical use at 24 fps, without accessories.

ALEXA/Plus/Plus 4:3: 85 W for camera and EVF-1, recording to SxS PRO cards.

ALEXA XT/XT Plus: 100W for camera and EVF-1, recording to Capture Drives/SxS PRO cards.

ALEXA Studio: 90 W for camera with OVF-1, recording to SxS PRO cards, mirror shutter on.

ALEXA XT Studio: 105 W for camera with OVF-1, recording to Capture Drives/SxS PRO cards, mirror shutter on. When running over 30 fps with mirror shutter on, a supply voltage of 18 V or more is recommended.

ALEXA M: 40 W for camera head and 85 W for body, recording to SxS PRO cards.

ALEXA XT M: 40 W for camera head and 100 W for body, recording to Capture Drives/SxS PRO cards. A 24 V power input to the body is required to power the camera head from the body through a standard SMPTE hybrid cable up to 50 meters, without accessories. The camera head has one 10.5 to 34 V DC power input that can be used to power the head independently form the camera body.