Arrisun 12 refurb

I picked up an old Arrisun 12 with EB 575/1200 High Speed in good shape for the age. I've refurbished both, so I've seen the ins and outs of each. A couple questions, as I'm new to HMI.

The USHIO lamp loaded in the fixture has a loose base. The adhesive blobs that would attach the ceramic base to the glass of the par is gone, and the holes where the leads enter the par are not sealed. I assume that the sealed beam enclosure is supposed to be a vacuum, right? It clearly isn't given this condition.

The lamp fires up and looks great, but I'm going to assume it shouldn't be run in this unsealed state. Thoughts?

Also, where to get those lamps? Is there a less expensive option than the ~$500 price I am seeing for USHIO (e.g. https://www.filmandvideolighting.com/1200-watt-hmi-par-64-old-style-bulb-arri-ltm-mole-daylight-ushio.html)?

Filmandvideolighting.com has Koto 1200 SE Globes for US $170.

If you stick with brands like Koto, Osram, GE and Ushio you should be fine.

Globes shouldnt be used with physical damage. Once youve seen a HMI or larger tungsten lamp explode, youll understand why.

• Premium Member

I think that's why those are often found going cheap - the lamps cost a fortune.

The spendy part of the equation is the ballast, though. Most of the 1.2K PAR HMIs I've seen had magnetic ballasts, which are far less useful, so if you have one with an electronic ballast that deals with flicker-free and silent modes, you've done well regardless.

P