panasonic AG-DVX100A

divino

Im trying to buy a camera, my goal is to shoot video but to look like film (motion & colors). Can please anybody tell me if the AG-DVX100A really give that "FILM LOOK" to the video?, thanks, David

Don't expect it to sell out soon. Panasonic is doing incredibly well with it but they're also making plenty.

The camera is really your best bet to get film-like motion, gamma (relative contrast) and color response. That is to get these things without spending about 10 times as much for the next step up. A very nice product. Be aware that the NAB show is in less than two weeks where a number of new cameras will debut, including the next generation of HDV cameras that may knock the DVX100a off its mantle. These cameras will not likely be available for purchase until the Fall, so if you can wait you may have some better options out there.

• 1 month later...

It has been said before by better, more experienced cinematographers, but I'll say it again. The best way to achieve the "film look" is to treat the camera like a film camera and light as though you are lighting for film. True, the 24P setting, gamma, and color representation on the camera assist with achieving this asthetic, but nothing says professional image like a professional image. Remember, the camera does none of the work for you.

I've shot several projects with this camera, ranging from lighting it professionally to capturing images "as is" using only available lighting and I've had great results. However, the projects that I've lit always come out looking better.

I have been shooting with video and film for almost four years now, both amateur and professional. I know we all want our video cameras to be amazing and get outstanding results compared to those achieved only by film. I can say that film and video are really different mediums, and both are great!, but it is impossible that a 3k camera, it is difficult even to a 30k camera!, to look really like 16mm, s16mm and even farther from 35mm.

I belive you have to be aware of that and what you want to achieve and for what purpose. There are many projects (most of them) that doesn't really need that incredible image quality and can get big advantages with the infimus price of videotapes and easines to operate, capture and edit. But if you think your project deserves it . Don't go DVX100A, PD-170, XL1s, etc... better get some bucks more, rent an Eclair ACL or Arri SR, get a decent DP, buy some Vision2 and shoot real film!!! you will not regret it, your movie will look dramaticaly better!! but, once again, it all depends on what kind of movie you are making.

If you get a super-talented DP to shoot a bright outdoors sequence, with a lot of equimpent to control light and a big postproduction budget, you could get a not so bad video quality (look at 28 days later), that can be even pleasant to the eye at some point. But if you get an old bolex and shoot yourself with only a white surface to reflect light on the face of your character, your sequence will look thousand times better than the one of the super-talented DP. It is only that video is video and film is film. I don't know that will still be in a few years, but it is right now.

We all love our video cameras (I have an XL1s that performs flawlessly), but let's face it, they are video, not film cameras.

best wishes!!