Need advice for where I went wrong with this footage

sample:

There's an iPhone photo at the start for comparison.

Is there a point where too much ND can detract from an image? Obviously there's a point where you can underexpose but by my calculations via light meter, i should have been within a stop.

At ISO 800, 2pm on a very sunny day it was so bright I had to stack 1.2 + .6 ND's to get the exposure down to about t4 / t5.6.

Unfortunately the resulting footage seems underexposed and flat. I normally don't have to tweak the knobs much to get a decent image but this looks too crapped out. One team had bright red shirts, the other black and I can't get them anywhere near their original color again.

Any advice or comments?

Well- You compare a linear picture with a logarithmic one. For a Log picture it looks exposed okay. You just needs to add a matching Linear LUT for grading.

But it looks like you´ve got some IR pollution.

Edited by Philip Reinhold

Well- You compare a linear picture with a logarithmic one. For a Log picture it looks exposed okay. You just needs to add a matching Linear LUT for grading.

That iPhone photos was just for reference as the ungraded footage is so far away from what it normally looks like that I think something else is wrong.

Yes you got a lot IR pollution. This happends because you use normal ND Filters & maybe a camera without any IR Cut in it. So you limited your spectrum by using NDs which doesn´t cut or correct the Infrared wavelenghts.

Its difficult to correct in post & you will probably lose saturation. :-/

Yes you got a lot IR pollution. This happends because you use normal ND Filters & maybe a camera without any IR Cut in it. So you limited your spectrum by using NDs which doesn´t cut or correct the Infrared wavelenghts.

Its difficult to correct in post & you will probably lose saturation. :-/

Yeah, I figured its something like that.

The way everything is tinged red has really sucked the life out of the color. It sucks though, I've used the ND filters a lot but never on days as sunny / bright as this one.

You do have a little IR pollution there as well.

Without getting to much into color theory & wavelenghts.

Just have a look at this article:

http://www.thehurlblog.com/what-is-ir-pollution-and-how-do-you-combat-it-tiffen/

Do you use a Blackmagic Camera?

Yeah, a pocket.

I'll have a good read of that article tonight! Thanks.