Deakins takes the Oscar!

Mark Kenfield

Yes ! one of the weirdest things he has never won before.. not so long ago he was 2 of the 4 nominees and still didnt win !! but the nominations are more of show of his standing as voted by peers .. rather than academy members just looking for pretty pictures..

• Premium Member

Yes, it's clearly a lifetime achievement award in all but name, and fair play on that basis, but I'm not sure that Blade Runner was the piece of genius that people are describing it as.

Honestly, some of the opening scenes looked amazingly - and this is a terrible, terrible insult - Doctor Who, as if they'd been shot in a quarry in Wales which we're pretending is the planet Zzyzzyzyzyx III.

P

Yes, it's clearly a lifetime achievement award in all but name, and fair play on that basis, but I'm not sure that Blade Runner was the piece of genius that people are describing it as.

Honestly, some of the opening scenes looked amazingly - and this is a terrible, terrible insult - Doctor Who, as if they'd been shot in a quarry in Wales which we're pretending is the planet Zzyzzyzyzyx III.

P

I couldn't agree more. Over all there seems to be a bit of a bell curve in play at the academy this year. I enjoyed Shape of Water, but Oscar worthy?? In my opinion Three Billboards was the most deserved of the nominees. Get Out should have had a lot more accolades, although I am glad it got Best Original Screenplay.

Edited by Chris Burke

• Premium Member

Well deserved award indeed!

---------------

I think the problem with previous nominations has been that Deakins's style is generally too "movie centric, not visually stunning+contrasty+experimental+vfx enough" for Academy Awards... the Oscars seem to be generally about who has "Most VFX", "Most Sound Design", "Most Cinematography", etc. and not about who does visually and technically wonderful results (not "in your face ad-like colour explosion -like" enough)

Deakins previously being like "too good, not stunning enough, too related to the story" for the awards :/

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member

P

All I can say is, I thoroughly disagree.

I think Deakins is clearly still at the top of his game, and Bladerunner is hardly some token effort gifted as a kind of pseudo-lifetime achievement award. With Lausten's spectacular use of colour in Shape of Water, and the visceral impact of Van Hoytema's camera on Dunkirk, it was hardly a weak year in the cinematography category.

I saw a breakdown of all the movies he's lost to over the years and every one of them was deserving of their Oscar, it's just bad luck. It's just a perpetual near miss until this year. I'm very glad he won, I can't wait to see how his work continues to push the envelope.