16mm Split Reels

charles pappas

I recently sold several of the heavy Hollywood brand 16mm split reels on E-Bay (to raise filmmaking money). I now have a few of these much lighter split reels shown in the attached photo.

They are un-branded and have aluminum hubs instead of the brass hubs the Hollywood reels had.

I would not want to sell them for the same price as the Hollywood ones, but I am curious about them. Would anyone happen to know who could have manufactured them? Also, is the inferior construction indicative of merely seeking a lower price point, or were these intended for some other use besides being used on the cutting table, such as transporting or temporarily storing assembled film edits.

Thanks.

post-72989-0-27718000-1520276364_thumb.jpeg

No reason I can see except they'd be a bit lighter. In the UK they tend to be even lighter wire-spoked jobs. They only ever held film or mag temporarily anyway if cut on a pic-sync. Film would be on a core on the Steenbeck, then go onto the split spool for projection.

They certainly don't need to be as substantial as the one you sold and I don't see why you should expect less money- they'll still do the job.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Yes thanks, I'd completely forgotten about projecting as i've never used a flatbed, only sync gang, viewer and rewinds. It' been a while, but I seem to recall mostly rewinding the edited film to a regular reel for checking edits on a projector. I will keep in mind your comment about the price.

Those ones are a much higher capacity than the ones you've just sold, of course, maybe 1600ft- big enough for a pretty long film. If you're ever likely to cut on film again I'd keep a couple.

If you'll never use a flatbed there's no re(a)l advantage though. The other reason for using cores was for mag film for dubbing, and no-one will ever do that again.

• Premium Member

The other reason for using cores was for mag film for dubbing, and no-one will ever do that again.

What makes you sure to say so? I collaborate with Urs Guldenmann in town here, he keeps MWA slaves up and alive in his sound studio. We did split stock jobs together. I can only recommend to make the experience with editing the classic three components to a sound track on magnetic film, mixed-dubbed. He has 16, too.

post-35633-0-51214800-1520331145_thumb.jpg

I'm delighted to hear it. He doesn't advertise it so thanks for the information. But it's not happening in the UK or, I dare say, the US. Scanning houses here can't even read mag stripe- the only way I could get a transcription recently was to track down a new head for my Steenbeck and do it myself. I'd love to cut mag again.